Best method to remove bump on the nose? (Photos)

I have a very large bump on my nose which is my biggest insecurity. I'm wandering what the best method for removal is. I've read of nonsurgical rhinoplasty and if this is possible for the hump on my nose that would be best because of price. Feed back is appreciated greatly!

Surgical vs. Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty

"Non-surgical" rhinoplasty is a technique where filler is used to give the illusion of a straight bridge on profile.  The filler is typically placed at the root of the nose (between the eyes) to fill in the area above the bump.  This works well with smaller bumps.  Larger bumps in females may not work well with this technique, because the nose can look large and Roman sometimes.  The nose can look longer as well because the apparent starting point of the profile is raised by the filler.  The only way you will know if you are a candidate for this is to see a rhinoplasty surgeon.  I stress that you should see a rhinoplasty surgeon, as opposed to a dermatologist, or other non-surgical injector.  I mean no offense to that group, but I think you need to see someone who deals with nasal proportion and balance on a daily basis, ie a surgeon.  Personally, I don't like the idea of filler in the nose for most patients.  Also, know that fillers will have to be repeated since most are not permanent.  Stay away from permanent fillers, ie silicone.

Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Hi alexandramason,A nonsurgical rhinoplasty would have no effect on your nose and in fact make your nose look larger and relatively disproportionate.  From the photographs provided, your only possible course of action to remove the hump is a surgical rhinoplasty.  Be sure to see a qualified plastic surgeon before undertaking this procedure.Best,Warwick Nettle

Non-surgical rhinoplasty is well proven but not permanent and can't make the nose smaller

Interestingly, a lot of rhinoplasty surgeons do not perform non-surgical rhinoplasty, which utilizes injectable fillers to perform maneuvers like camouflaging a hump on the nose, reshaping the nasal tip, or hiding asymmetries. The advantages of non-surgical rhinoplasty include less cost than surgery, almost no downtime, and minimal risk of creating too radical a change in the nasal appearance. The disadvantages include that the effects are temporary (lasting a few months) and the nose cannot be decreased in size; the effects are achieved only by adding volume to the nose. But I think the main concern with non-surgical rhinoplasty is that some patients view it as equivalent to surgery, but it is not, because--as noted--volume can only be added to the nose. Many, if not most, rhinoplasty patients need reduction of various structures of the nose. Also, all procedures have risk, even filler injection; these should be reviewed with your surgeon. In your case, your pictures suggest that you do have a hump that could be minimized with filler injection, but your nose also is overprojected, which makes it look a little large. Ideally, cosmetic enhancement of your nose would involve reducing the hump and deprojecting the tip. You have nice tip rotation and nice facial esthetics overall. While a chin reduction is possible, a prominent chin is not, in my opinion, a major esthetic concern and can be balanced with fillers or fat injection with or without reduction. Good luck. Thanks for your question. 

Steven Goldman, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Surgical rhinoplasty to remove the dorsal hump

The dorsal hump is composed of solid bone and cartilage must be shaved down in order to remove it. Shaving down the dorsal hump will also decrease the overall projection of the nose. Osteotomies will also be required to narrow the nasal bridge line. Adjustments to the nasal tip cartilages may also be necessary to make sure that the new bridge line balances with the tip. For more information and many before and after results, please see the link and the video below

Bump on the nose

The best approach for the removal of the nose bump is surgery. You would also be a good candidate for reduction of your chin projection. In fact either you have to undergo both or none since if you make your nose smaller your chin will look larger and visa versa. Otherwise filler is a better choice than undergoing rhinoplasty alone.Good Luck

Bahman Guyuron, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Non Surgical Rhinoplasty Candidate ???

Thank you for your question. Looking at your photos, your nose does not look like it is a good candidate for the non-surgical rhinoplasty technique.  In the non-surgical rhinoplasty, fillers are used to help correct or "hide" deformities in the nose.  I am afraid, the non-surgical rhinoplasty will only make your nose look bigger.  You are definitely a surgical rhinoplasty candidate to give your nose a smaller size and better contours for your face. Good luck.

Paul E. Goco, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

I prefer to perform an open rhinoplasty to correct the issues and treat the tip as well accordingly.  Best to be seen in person.

Rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. Cartilage grafts may also be used to help improve tip refinement. You may also benefit from a nasal tip de-projection and a conservative dorsal hump reduction.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Best method to remove bump on the nose?

Usually, prominent nasal bridges and humps can be improved to achieve a natural appearing better cosmetic with an artistically performed rhinoplasty. There is no long-lasting non-surgical procedure than can remove the bump. Fillers will make your nose look larger, not more refined.
I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon with extensive nasal surgery experience who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or a facial plastic surgeon that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.
Robert Singer, MD FACS
La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Nasal Hump Reduction

The hump on your nose that bothers you is a very common complaint for those who seek a plastic surgeon.  In my opinion, a non-surgical rhinoplasty would not adequately camouflage your hump to give you the result you are looking for.  Your best option would be a rhinoplasty.  In this procedure, the cartilage and bone that is causing your bump is very carefully removed.  This gives your nasal bridge and overall profile a much smoother, more feminine look.  This is a very common technique performed in surgery that surgeons who specialize in rhinoplasty perform often. The benefit of under going surgery for your concern is that it is your best option to address the nasal hump and is also a permanent result.  In contrast, a non-surgical rhinoplasty has to be repeated over time.Seek out a facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon who specializes in the face and in rhinoplasty.  Surgery on the nose is very personal.  It is important to find a surgeon who you communicate well with and understands what you want your result to look like.  Best of luck in your decision!

Kyle T. Yamamoto, MD
Reno Facial Plastic Surgeon