Will swelling go down? (Rhinoplasty) (photos)

Hello, so I got my rhinoplasty about three weeks ago going on to my fourth week. I feel like my swelling of the tip has gotten really bulgy and bulbous looking. I thought that swelling was supposed to go down during time but I feel like it has had a reverse effect. Is my nose going to go down in swelling or is it going to stay looking like this ? Thank you!

Swelling after Rhinoplasty

Hello, Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  What you are experiencing is an expected side effect of having a Rhinoplasty procedure.  Usually after a Rhinoplasty you will see swelling for up to one year.  Some days swelling will be more prominent than others, especially when you are very active, or exposed to heat.  Please discuss this concern with your surgeon. Best wishes, Dr. B.

Freehold Plastic Surgeon

4 week post rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question and answer.  It is not uncommon to have swelling and possibly some asymmetries early in the post rhinoplasty recovery phase.  It is usually six months before you will see the end results.  At that time, any concerns should be evaluated with your Facial Plastic Surgeon.  Best of luck. 

Michael Sullivan, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and swelling

Recovering from rhinoplasty is a healing process. Part of that process is waiting for swelling to go down to see your result. In the first 6-8 weeks the majority of swelling will go down. Over the next 6-9 months you'll experience a downward trending rollercoaster of swelling going up and down depending on your exposure to heat, sun, or salt. At one year, you're close to your final result; however, the nose is known to continue healing and refining by very small amounts for years after that.  The swelling commonly goes down in an uneven way. First one side and then the other goes down, which may give the appearance of a crooked nose until the other side catches up. The tip is the last area to settle down. It's important to follow your surgeon's instructions and keep your follow-up appointments so your surgeon can track your progress toward a safe and happy outcome. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon