Upper blepharoplasty too much fat removed, 12 months post op. Any chance my own fat will move forward and fill the hollowness?

Can fat move forward in years to come?

Hollow Upper Eyelids after Blepharoplasty

Unfortunately, it is unlikely that fat (from further back in the eye) will move forward over time. In fact,  you should expect more fat loss and hollowness with increasing age.  Too often, surgeons remove all the fat around the eye in an attempt to achieve a more "dramatic" result. This can leave the patient looking "skeletonized" and sunken.  This problem can be treated with fat injections using donor fat taken from your abdomen, hips or thighs. The fat is injected using a small blunt cannula and takes only a few minutes. Alternatively, you can use one of the popular HA fillers. Find a surgeon with experience with fat injections and the treatment of hollow eyelids.

Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hollowness After Blepharoplasty

The key element here is prevention. Modern blepharoplasty does not remove significant, if at all, fat from the upper and lower bleph. Blepharoplasty surgery allows for reposition or reshaping. In patients that have too much fat removal, one can restore it with the use of fillers or use of fat restoration. This should be done in the hands of a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with expertise in Oculoplastic surgery.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Upper blepharoplasty too much fat removed

Unfortunately, fat will not move to fill that area.  As you age, even more fat loss is expected.  Fillers may be added to address the hollows.

Hollow Upper Eyelid After Aggresive Blepharolplasty

I'm so sorry you experienced this. Too often, I see patients who have had aggressive upper and lower blepharoplasty, leaving them with hollows above and / or below the eyes.  This can be corrected with fat grafting. Please click on the link to view an example of blepharoplasty correction.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Filling the upper eyelids after previous blepharoplasty

The answer is "highly unlikely".  In fact, more fat loss is expected from the upper eyelid area as one ages. The good news is that we can fill the area with either own fat (taken from the belly or thighs) or synthetic fillers (which are very safe).  See an oculoplastic surgeon.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Upper lid Blepharoplasty with too much fat removed.

Upper lid Blepharoplasty with too much fat removed. No, the fat will not move forward. With scarring it is difficult to get the right amount of fat or filler just right. 

It is difficult to give you an opinion without the standard photographs or a consultation in person. 
I agree with my colleagues. It is hard to imagine residual fat moving to fill the hollowness. 

Maan Kattash, MD, FRCS, FACS

I agree with Dr. Corbin.

I think I have answered many of your questions in the past regarding your upper eyelid result.  Ultimately there is no substitute for a personal consultation.  There are options that can soften the harsh results of a bad blepharoplasty.  As I look at the pictures you posted a couple of months ago, you have a degree of upper eyelid ptosis.  This causes the brows to go up and bring with them the tissue in the sub brow area.  This makes the upper eyelid area look more hollow.  The upper eyelid ptosis needs to be fixed.  I encourage you when ready to seek several consultations from surgeons who specialize in correcting unsatisfactory eyelid surgery.

Fat

Thank you for your question and though it is doubtful your own fat will move forward you can add fat from elsewhere on your body if need be

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Hollow upper lids

Over-exision of upper lid fat can leave you with a hollowed appearance that can be problematic.  Unfortunately it is very unlikely that time alone will fix this.  Fillers or fat injection can improve this situation, and so I would recommend a visit with another Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to get an assessment and plan.
Dr. L