I have sunken and hollow eyes after eyelid surgery and also eye bag removal. Is this normal?

how can my eyes retain volume once again.

Sunken Hollow Eyes After Eyelid Surgery

Modern blepharoplasty does not remove or leave residual sunken eyelids, as one wants to retain fullness in the upper and lower
eyelids to give a useful non-operative look. You can restore this by volumizing with either fillers or fat restoration.

Sunken Hollow Eyes after Blepharopolasty

You should wait about 6 to 9 months after surgery so that you are fully recovered before you consider doing anything. If you are still unhappy you can consider fat grafting or filler such as Restylane to correct the problem.

Best of luck to you,

Dr. Peter Newen

Peter Newen, MD

Hollow eyes after bleph

This is a common issue in a fat removal blepharoplasty.  When the fat is removed, you will often look good while the area is swollen.  Once that resolves, the lid can look sunken and darker than before. You will need to replace the volume that was removed.  Restylane or Belotero are good options for fillers.  Your other option is fat transfer.   

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Restoration of sunken eyes after eyelid surgery

This is a common issue. While attempting to remove fat to improve contour, often times the removal of fat can cause a hollowed appearance to the eyes.

Wait until 6 months after your surgery. Consider fat grafting to the upper lid as well as fat grafting to the lower lid/cheek junction to "fill in the void" and restore the full appearance. Fat grafting is a permanent option. If you are uneasy about undergoing such a procedure, dermal fillers can be used as a temporary option that lasts 6-12 months.

Best of luck.

- Dr. Bryson Richards

Bryson G. Richards, MD

Sunken eyes revealed after blepharoplasty !

Fat removal during blepharoplasty can leave the eyes more hollow. It is also possible that you had hollow eyes to begin with and it became more obvious after removal of skin.  That requires adding volume around the eyes to achieve more youthful appearance. That can be accomplished by fat or filler injection (or combination). See an oculoplastic surgeon.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Sunken eyes after lower blepharoplasty

this is a known result of lower eyelid surgery. Without photos it is very difficult to comment and it depends on whether fat was removed or reposition and the approach - external incision or transconjunctival. Time usually improves hollowness otherwise replacing volume with fat or filler is a possibility. Condiseration should also be given to your mid face. A lot of patients I see concerned about their lower lids actually need a mid facelift to support their infraorbital volume.

Dominic Bray, MBBS, FRCS
London Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sunken eyes after eyelid surgery

Without both a before photo and an after photo, this is a hard question to answer.  However, hollowness would be most likely a result of the fat removal during the case.  I try to remove as little fat as possible while still providing a smooth contour and thus a correction of the bags.  If this is the case, fat grafting might be in order.  Voice these concerns to your plastic surgeon.  Best wishes and good luck.

Shayne Webb, MD