What ointment is best to use inside my nose to help dissolve sutures and keep my nose moist 10 days PO from septorhinoplasty?

What do you prefer, Aquafor, A+D ointment or Vaseline? I was told to stop using my anitibioric ointment I was prescribed after day 7. Thanks!

POST SEPTORHINOPLASTY QUESTIONS

Dear Smeegle2, I would suggest that you refer this question to your surgeon as each surgeon has a specific post operative protocol they like to use and this is individualized as well for each patient depending on their circumstances. i.e. allergies etc. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Helping your stitches dissolve in your nose

After any nasal surgery, it's a good idea to keep the nose humid and moist. This helps for healing and for dissolving the stitches.For the first week, I have my patients use an antibiotic ointment. Extended use of antibiotic can cause fungal growth. Starting the second week, I have my patients switch to saline gel (preferred), Aquaphor, Vaseline, or vitamin A+D ointment twice a day.  I also have them use saline misting spray, sinus rinses (netipot), and humidifiers. Most important are the follow-up visits, so your surgeon can make sure your nose continues to heal well. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal ointment

IConsult with your surgeon but I would recommend a water based saline gel. One concern about using petrolatum materials like Vaseline or antibiotic ointments in the nose is if it gets inhaled into the lungs it can cause lipid pneumonitis which is an inflammatory condition. 

Mark Loury, MD, FACS
Fort Collins Facial Plastic Surgeon

Keeping your nose moist

Many surgeons have their own regimen post-rhinoplasty.  I would relay your questions to your surgeon, as he or she may have strict postoperative instructions.  Mine are as follows:1. Neosporin/bacitracin/polysporin - apply to incision twice daily for the first 14 days2. Saline mist nasal spray - spray 2 sprays into each nostril twice daily, and gently pat dry (no nose blowing for 14 days)3. Crushed ice in a surgical glove - apply for 20 min, rest 30 min (while awake) for 24 hours after surgery4. Start silicone gel scar management system - 14-21 days following surgery

Ointments following rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. Nasal dryness and crusting is normal following rhinoplasty. I typically recommend antibiotic ointment (bacitracin) or vaseline. You can use a small amount of vaseline in the morning and evening which can help preserve some of the moisture in your nose if your surgeon has instructed you to stop using antibiotic ointment.