Is my nose bifid, bulbous or both? Could just tip rhinoplasty fix it? How much would that cost in Nashville? (Photo)

I hate my nose. Always have. It looks like someone rolled up putty and shoved it up my nose. The tip is squared, does not blend into the sides of my nose and clearly asymmetrical from all angles. It's cleft down the middle of the tip. My assumption is that it's both bulbous and bifid. Would just a tip rhinoplasty fix me? What is the cost of that procedure in Nashville and who is the "nose" plastic surgeon in my area?

Doctor Answers 10


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You do have a wide, boxy nasal tip that can be corrected. The most important first step is to consult with an expert in rhinoplasty. This is a doctor with experience, and one who performs many rhinoplasties on a regular bases.You should feel comfortable with the surgeon and  look at the doctors results.

Chattanooga Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 12 reviews

Bifid and Bulbous

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You have diagnosed your problem correctly.  The cartilages are seperated in the center and are also overly large creating a bulbous tip.  I would recommend an open rhinoplasty and trim the cartilages to correct the bulbous tip, and then suture the domes of the cartilages together to correct the bifid tip.  The total charge including anesthesia for the procedure would be $5000.  We perform this procedure at our private surgery center in Nashville.  You would need an in person consultation to verify that there are no hidden obstacles that need to be addressed as well.  Thanks for the question.

Jeffrey Marvel, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 55 reviews

Bulbous or Bifid

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It does appear there is separation between the mesial crura which are the cartilages that provide support to the lower third of the nose.  Rhinoplasty surgery to improve this would likely involve more than tip work, as one  surgical maneuver often leads to another until everything is as it should be.  Pick a surgeon who understands your goals, and can demonstrate a couple of examples of his surgical cases.  good luck

J. Kevin Duplechain, MD, FACS
Lafayette Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 17 reviews

Is my nose bifid, bulbous or both? Rhinoplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Yes, your nasal tip is bifid and boxy. A tip rhinoplasty can address the size and shape of the tip. Your front on photo suggests that your nasal bridge might be crooked but this could just be the lightning. Your profile also suggests that the upper part of your bridge might be too low. A tip rhinoplasty will address the tip but straightening the nose or raising a low bridge would require a complete rhinoplasty. Cost is typically between $7000 - 10,000 for a skilled rhinoplasty surgeon which is what you deserve. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Dear kmtir3, I would suggest that you seek consultation with an expert in the field of rhinoplasty who also has extensive experience in open rhinoplasty techniques. In my opinion in your case it is extremely important to have an open rhinoplasty so that the cartilages can be precisely addressed to provide the improvement to the tip that you need. Have the surgeon perform digital imaging if available to show you the proposed results and then review the surgeons before and after photographs of noses and tips similar to yours so you can get a good idea of how the results look. The prices for rhinoplasty will vary between surgeons and you will require a full rhinoplasty versus just a tip-plasty. For examples see the link below and video above. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD
Orange County Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 218 reviews

Bifid boxy tip

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Yes, you do have a bifid boxy tip and a rhinoplasty can correct his for you.  Best of luck with your desire to move forward.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 30 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hello and thank you for your question. This is your lower lateral cartilage you are seeing and you have what is referred to as a boxy tip.  Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 173 reviews

Bifid nasal tip correction

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You nasal tip is bifid (meaning it has a cleft between both tip cartilages and boxy (appears boxy from the bas view). This can be improved with a rhinoplasty procedure.

Andres Bustillo, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 123 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
The cartilages that make up the tip of your nose have a square type of architecture rather than a more triangular look.  Rhinoplasty done by an experienced and skilled surgeon can be very helpful.  I agree with my colleague that you should make absolutely certain that whoever you select should be well qualified .

S. Randolph Waldman, MD
Lexington Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 19 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question. A Rhinoplasty can provide a solution to the problems you described herein. It can address your tip, asymmetry and the size of your nostrils as well as any breathing issues you may be experiencing. I suggest that you consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Best wishes,

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 124 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.