Tip slightly over projected after rhinoplasty

i had a rhinoplasty to strengthen the tip of my nose. I am 10 days post op and the tip seems slightly overprojected. will the tip lower when swelling subsides? also, can I tape the tip down to manipulate the outcome? if so, when should I start? any help would be greatly appreciated

Tip slightly over projected

Thank you for your question.  It may take four to six months before you see the ultimate results from a rhinoplasty. 10 days is early in the healing process. It is important to follow your physician's instructions and ask what options are available if the tip does not lower. Post operative swelling will continue to resolve and the nose should continue to look smaller over time. Best of luck.

Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tip position after rhinoplasty

The shape and position of the nasal tip will definitely change from what you see at ten days post surgery.  Taping the nasal tip is a great way to expedite the resolution of the acute nasal tip swelling.  In the immediate post operative period it is likely that the tip may look wide, over projected slightly, and over rotated.  Be patient and discuss your concerns with your surgeon and I am certain they will be able to help you through this early part of the healing process.

Philip S. Schoenfeld, MD, FACS
Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tip after rhinoplasty

The tip is often quite swollen just after surgery.  Often as the swelling comes down, the slight overprotection will settle.

Don't manipulate your nose immediately after rhinoplasty

The nasal tip settles with time. 10 days is very early in the recovery period after rhinoplasty. Don't manipulate your nose during this time period. Speak with your rhinoplasty surgeon regarding any specific issues you have.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Over projected nose tip

you will see the tip projection resolve without question. it is very early in the healing process. it will take at least a year, sometimes 2 years to see where it finally settles. however, it still can be over projected depending on how the tip cartilage was sutured. 

More than likely it will settle into a good place but you are extremely early in the healing process and will need several months for swelling to resolve. address your concerns with your surgeon and best of luck for good healing. 

instagram: @mesbahimd

Alex N. Mesbahi, MD
McLean Plastic Surgeon

Do Nothing...You risk disaster

At this point, you are still VERY swollen. The best advice is to do nothing. If you try to manipulate your tip you could cause disaster and your surgeon will likely not be able to fix it. Let things settle. Its extreemly early after surgery and we expect swelling at this point, especially in the tip. Talk to your surgeon,it will take months to get a final non-swollen results, so do your best to be patient. 

Dr Bonaparte

James Bonaparte, MD, MSc, FRCSC
Ottawa Facial Plastic Surgeon