I have dark spots under my eyes; will laser help remove my dark spots under my eyes? (Photo)

My question is will laser help remove my dark spots under my eyes

Laser Resurfacing

Thank you for your question. Yes, laser skin resurfacing techniques can assist in addressing irregular pigmentation, including the dark spots under your eyes. Always consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon. Best wishes,

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Combination therapy of dark circles

Thanks for your questions.  Do you mean dark circles?  If so, first I want to recommend you to treat any possible underlying causes of dark circles, such as allergies, contact dermatitis, eczema, dehydration, fatigue, sun exposures, etc.  Also it can be from the deep vascular origin which can be  treated the dark color with BBL(broad band light).  The thinning of skin and loss of fat and collagen can be improved with Halo laser or SkinTyte as well as maintaining with good moisturizers and eye creams daily. Best,   Dr. Kevin Belasco

Kevin T. Belasco, DO
Newport Beach Dermatologist

As you might expect when you ask a question of a physician, It Depends

Hello Claudia,"Dark Circles" can be due to so many things, that it's imperative to have a consultation to determine what is best for you, Even FaceTime can fail to show the true nature of one's dark circles. I continue to try and help people for convenience-sake through FaceTime Consultations, but invariably we end up meeting face-to-face at our office.It all depends on several factors. For melasma and other hyperpigmentation, a micro-peel with a fractionated CO2 laser (first with a test spot if treating melasma) can be incredibly effective.  Dark circles may also be due to very fine wrinkling of the fine lower eyelid skin due to the action of the orbicularis oculi muscle. In this case, the same fractionated CO2 laser treatment at a higher energy setting can be incredibly effective in treating one's dark circles.
If the dark circles are due to fat from the lower orbital fat compartments, the treatments are more likely to require either increasing the volume in the tear troughs or removing a small amount of fat via a surgical procedure called blepharoplasty.Ever see a fat man wearing a belt that is a bit too tight? Sorry to focus your attention on the next one you see, but notice that there will be shadows under his belly? It's kind of the same principle in the lower eyelids, you can reduce the dark circles by "loosening the belt" with fillers, or by reducing the fullness through blepharoplasty.-Dr F

Carlos Farias, MD
Chicago Physician

Laser resurfacing can be effective on dark spots

Laser resurfacing can help with cases of rosacea, acne, sun spots, and sun damage, including the dark spots under your eyes. For young, relatively healthy skin there are less-intensive therapies like chemical Peels or facials. There is a class of lasers called Fraxel that smoothens rough patches, flattens wrinkles, and removes pigments and scar tissue. The name comes from the word "fractional," which refers to the way the devices deliver light. Instead of a solid beam, they bombard the target area with a polka-dot pattern that damages less tissue and speeds recovery. There are different fractional lasers for a range of different problems, from heavy-duty sun damage to stretch marks. Laser treatments are usually non-invasive and don’t require numbing beforehand, but for deep resurfacing, a topical anaesthetic or a combination of topical and pain injections are used. At the extreme, monitored sedation (a short-acting IV anaesthetic that puts a patient to sleep) is for some forms of ablative resurfacing, in which the laser removes skin and can cause bleeding.

Jan Zemplenyi, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hyperpigmentation On Face/Body -- Clear + Brilliant/Viva, Microneelding/PRP, Skin lightening/Peels, Aerolase, Pico Laser

Please post photos in better lighting for evaluation. Dark spots on the face can be improved with a combination of skin care, lasers, and peels. I suggest seeking an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Dark spots under eyes.

There are several potential causes of darkening under the eyes. Often the darkening comes from loss of volume that changes the "hills and valley" and so leads to altered light refection and "shadowing". This can usually be addressed with fillers. Sometimes pigment changes on the skin can occur that are often improved with bleaching creams, cryotherapy (freezing) and or lasers. Occasionally the blood vessels in the thin skin of the lower eyelids can become more prominent giving a bluish discoloration. This may be improved with lasers, but in my experience is usually recalcitrant to treatment. To be honest from you photo it is difficult for me to tell the cause of your problem. Hope this helps.

Ralph Massey, MD
Santa Monica Dermatologist

Dark Spots under Eyes

Hi and thank you for your question! Its hard to see in this picture exactly what you're referring to. I can tell you a few of the things we often do for the under eye area and for brown spots. If its actually hyperpigmentation from sun damage or some type of trauma, we would recommend you start with some skin lightening products. After that, we would evaluate the changes and see if we needed to do any additional interventions, such as laser. If you feel there is darkening under the eyes due to loss of volume and hollowness, we may recommend a filler under the eyes. Feel free to come in for a complementary consultation in our office with one of our physician extenders! Best, Dr. Grant Stevens

Grant Stevens, MD