Can melasma be painful? What should I do?

I have melasma on both of my jawlines. It is flat, reddish brown and painful. It's been here for 2 weeks. I saw a dentist and my doctor and they don't know what's going on. I had labs and MRI and they were normal. I'm assuming it's melasma. Can melasma be painful?

Seek the cause of the melasma pain

Melasma itself is not painful. However, sometimes there may be associated inflammation from an unknown source that can be the cause of the skin tenderness. Best, Dr. KaramanoukianLos Angeles

No, melasma is not painful

See a MEDICAL dermatologist, melasma is not painful. This maybe a inflammatory skin disease such as cutaneous lupus, or other rare skin conditions. A diagnosis is essentially before treatment. Melsama never causes physical pain. Never ever.All the best, Dr Davin Lim

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Melasma and Pain

Please post a photo to better help you.  Melasma should not be painful.  I suggest Cosmelan to best treat melasma.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist to examine your skin. Best, Dr. Green

Pigment on the jawline associated with pain

Thank you for your question tryingtofigure. Melasma is a common condition characterized by the appearance of dark patches on the skin. It can be challenging to treat. Areas most commonly affected include the upper cheeks, forehead, and upper lip. Melasma is not commonly seen on the jawline and melasma is not associated with pain. I recommend speaking with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician