12 days post-op tummy tuck; swelling and stabbing/burning pain in belly button? (Photos)

I'm 12 days post op tummy tuck. I have a bad stabbing/burning pain in my belly button last 2 days. Is this normal? My pubic are is also swollen 24/7 no matter how unactive or what time a day it is. Is that normal?

2 weeks post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.
At this point (2 weeks post-po) the swelling have to be minimal.
To reduce it, I recommend you perform daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the abdomen and wear a postoperative girdle from thigh to the breasts.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Pain after abdominoplasty

Thank you for your question.  Specific stabbing pain around your umbilicus may be related to nerve irritation of the T10 nerve.  This  pain can be alleviated by an injection of Marcaine anesthetic or even better an injection of Exparel  which is a 72 hour acting lipid bound Marcaine anesthetic solution. Additionally, as the normal swelling process starts to decrease over the next 3 to 6 months discomfort will diminish.  Pubic swelling is very common due to gravitational accumulation of fluid.  Swelling can be addressed by using Topifoam  and postop of compression garments. The results continue to improve after six months and with a proper diet and exercise excellent results are seen at 1 to 2 years postoperatively.  Best wishes in your recovery!  

Sincerely, James Fernau, M.D., FACS 

Board Certified ENT 
Board Certified Plastic Surgery 
Member ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS , ASLMS

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Swelling Post Op

After a #tummytuck surgery, #swelling can persist for several months and will gradually improve and will look better at three months, six months, and even one year. Frequently the pubic area can become very swollen and discolored during the first two weeks due to gravity as this is the lowest area for swelling to accumulate.

If you have concerns, please contact your #BoardCertified #PlasticSurgeon so you may be examined in person.

Tummy Tuck - Post Op Swelling?

Thank you for your question. You should expect to have swelling for three to six months following tummy tuck surgery. Swelling in the pubic area is quite common and will take some time to resolve. Use of a properly fitted compression garment will help decrease the length and severity of the post-operative swelling. As the swelling decreases, the contour of your abdomen, flanks, and hips will dramatically improve. Please follow your plastic surgeons specific advice regarding your level of physical activity. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.