What was the popping noise I heard when I massaged my raised incision and why is it flat a few minutes later? (photos)

Im 4 weeks tummy tuck post op.. My incision scar was pink and raised in a small area on my left side right above my hip. Last night, when massaging it, I put more pressure than usual. This resulted in a small popping sound and the incision area became completely flat within minutes. I didn't hurt at all but what the heck did I do and how much damage did I cause?

When raised scars flatten

it suggests a suture was broken resulting in the 'popping' sensation and if it wasn't a suture, it was the scar tissue being separated to allow the scar to flatten.  But you should always check with your surgeon since your surgeon knows what exactly was done and how it appeared prior to your episode.

Raised incision

When we are closing an incision we place sutures along a line a little wide of the incision. The sutures are then tied and this creates a small ridge at the incision.  This ridge takes the tension off the incision itself and let's it heal better.  When the sutures dissolve the ridge flattens.  These internal sutures slowly weaken over weeks or months and then the "ring" of the suture breaks.  A vigorous massage will sometimes break the suture ring, releasing the ridge, and allowing the suture to flatten.  If this occurs several weeks after surgery it's no cause for alarm.

Samuel Beran, MD

Popping Sound

You broke some internal sutures, which were causing your skin to be raised. You did not do anything wrong. 

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Popping sound

Thank you for the question and it is hard to say what is was without an examination and even then one might be guessing.  So see your surgeon if you have concerns.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD