Vertical muscle repair line not straight? (Photo)

The muscle repair line is not straight from ribs to belly button. It deviates to the side of my button creating an unnatural Look. I am 3 mnths post full tummy tuck and muscle repair. I was thin and shapely before with excess skin from pregnancy and don't mind having the vertical dent if it's straight behind belly button, not to side. I see my doctor in two weeks but hope someone will know if this is normal or a problem. My stomach is still VERY hard and skin tight, very little swelling though.

Crooked Muscle Repair after Tummy Tuck......?

Since you are still early after surgery, this may or may not be a permanent issue.   There are many potential causes for this, from scar tissue, to blood vessels, stitches, etc.....   The best thing to do is discuss it with your surgeon.   

Vertical line not straight

For this type of problem, an in person exam is necessary to evaluate the problem. Ultrasound could readily discern whether a fluid collection was at play. May need some fat shifting to smooth out. Your operating ps will be your best resource for help. 

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Vertical muscle repair line not straight?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  I see your area of concern and an in-person examination would best help identify the cause of this ridging.  This could be a result of the underlying muscle repair and the method in which your surgeon plicated them back together, or possibly quilting sutures used to fix your abdominal skin back down to your abdominal wall.  In either case as your results relax from their current tension, and sutures dissolve, you should see an improvement in your appearance.  As your surgeon knows the full details of your procedure they can offer you the best advice.  Best wishes. 

Not straight

It could be that scar tissue has formed holding the skin down so when you bend in a certain direction the skin gets pulled.  Your PS will need to examine you to see what your options are.

Anh Lee, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Vertical line after abdominoplasty

It's fairly common to have a vertical groove immediately after a tummy tuck.  If there is limited undermining of the area above the umbilicus the skin and fat can gather in a ridge.  We often perform liposuction of this area to make the skin flat again.  Sometimes after surgery this area that had liposuction can become a vertical groove.  It's not generally related to the muscle repair, but rather to the liposuction.  In my experience this disappears with time, compression, and foam padding.  When you see your surgeon don't be afraid to bring it up.  I sure they will guide you.

Samuel Beran, MD