What kind of bra is best after breast capsulectomy and mastopexy?

Breast Implant Revision/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you will be healing  following surgery.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

I would start out by saying that in some cases a capsulectomy and mastopexy performed at the same time can threaten your circulation (though not in all).  Perhaps you should bring this up with your surgeon at your next meeting.

We apply a surgical bra without an underwire and request that the patient use it or supportive sports bras for 2-3 months. This implies avoiding underwire bras for at least 3 months.  

Inadequate support in my opinion may lead to bleeding and inflammation that I believe increases the risk of recurrence of encapsulation.  Similarly, I have my patients fastidiously avoid any blood thinning medications until the new capsule has reformed.  

Best of luck and enjoy your results.

Jon A Perlman MD FACS 

Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery 

Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV

Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016 

Beverly Hills, Ca 

Jon A. Perlman, MD

The best bra after surgery is the bra your surgeon requests. Every surgeon has his/her preference of bra/garment after surgery. My patients wear sports bras. I do require that my patients not wear push up bras for at least 3 months.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

I am an advocate for the use of supportive bras after breast augmentation and revisionary surgery.   In my opinion, the use of the supportive bra may help prevent breast implants from moving into the "paths of least resistance": down or out. Having said that, there is no “standard” when it comes to the use of specific bras or garments after breast surgery. In other words, different plastic surgeons may have different practices when it comes to postoperative dressings/bras.  

In my practice, patients wake up with a surgical bra in place. This surgical bra, although not attractive, is supportive and used for about one month after surgery (some of my patients have been known to burn the bra ASAP). Then, patients transition to a soft sports bra. Wired bras are used when breast implants have reached their “final position” and patients have full sensation along the breast skin. Generally, the longer I have been in practice, the more I appreciate the use of supportive bras for the first several months after breast augmentation and revisionary breast surgery. Best wishes.