3 weeks after gynecomastia surgery my nipple is still puffy ? (photos)

Hi , I had a gynecomastia surgery 3 weeks ago and it looks like my left nipple is still puffy .I went to my surgeon for a visit because he told me that possibly there can collect water so he looked them and there was nothing for 2 times , and when I came in this site i saw a lot of " compression garment " but my surgeon didn`t told me to wear this ! I wanted to know if there is any problem because I did not wear that or other problem with my nipples ?! Thank you

3 Weeks Following Male Breast Reduction

Following surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely.

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Puffy Nipples After Surgery

It is difficult to determine as swelling may last a couple months.

Should this persist, I'd recommend booking a follow-up appointment with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your concerns.

Take care.

Swelling 3 weeks after surgery

You should always check with your surgeon before doing anything, but compression may help in your case. You can remain swollen after this surgery for sometimes up to 6-8 weeks, so be patient for now. 

Tracy Kayan, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Still puffy

3 weeks is very early and there is almost certainly some swelling yet to resolve, but what you describe could also represent fluid collection (seroma) or residual gland.  Discuss with your doctor.  I generally recommend compression garments for up to 6 weeks after gynecomastia surgery.