Will loose skin on chest tighten after gynecomastia surgery that was 7 months ago without surgery? (Photo)

Hi so it has been about 7 months since I have had gyno surgery. My right chest turned out great but unfortunately my left chest ended up with loose skin that makes it look bad. Again it's been 7 months will my skin tighten on its own still or do I need surgery? Compared to other loose skin pictures I've seen mine seems pretty minor. Would any of you have an estimate to what the cost would be to treat my left chest alone? Also this may sound dumb but would using scotch tape so stretch skin help?

Loose Skin or Possible Swelling

There are some basic post-op treatments that are usually offered to help make sure that swelling and other healing difficulties are reduced. A compression garment is worn after surgery to assist in the retraction of the skin and to prevent swelling. Your doctor may also place tape or foam over the incisions, which can be removed on day 3 or 4, before your first post-op appointment.

Also, bruising and swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. The compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will heal. Since you have been after surgery for more months, and your skin and scars should be close to final settling, it may be a good idea to visit your surgeon to have the area examined and make sure that healing is taking place well. Good luck.

Will loose skin on chest tighten after gynecomastia surgery that was 7 months ago without surgery?

Overall not a bad result, but it can likely be improved.

Beverly Hills, CA...........

Loose skin

You need to be examined in person for proper recommendations to be made, but it appears your asymmetry can be improved, and will likely require revision surgery.  You may need skin excision and additional glandular or fat contouring on both sides.  

Jeffrey D. Wagner, MD

Loose skin?

What you are observing is suboptimal gynecomastia repair as it seems like slight over-resection of the tissues under the gland and not enough liposuction of the periphery. Any skin deformities created when flexing can occur following almost any type of breast surgery. Please see examples below of appropriately resected glandular tissues and liposuction. Redundant skin will go away with time as long as you are 40 years of younger.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Loose skin

Thank you for the question and photos but an examination is really needed to determine what is going on and how best to treat it.  So see your surgeon or other expert in the area.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD