Does Voluma cause more sagging after it diminish in 18 - 24 months?

After the effect of Voluma diminish in 18 - 24 months, will my face sag more than if I never had Voluma injections ? If not then does it help create new collagen?

Voluma results

No. The Voluma doesn't "stretch" out your skin. In fact, HA fillers often stimulate collagen production. Just make sure that you see a very qualified injector as expertise plays a huge role in your results.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Voluma does not stretch the skin enough that it would cause further sagging.

Voluma does not stretch the skin enough that it would cause further sagging after the volume is diminished. As Voluma gradually reduces, your skin will return to the original state it was in before you had the filler injected.

Mitchel P. Goldman, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Voluma injections

The product will gradually diminish over the 2 year period.  It will not create more sagging, however the aging process does not stop, and you will continue to age as you would if the Voluma wasn't present.

Camille Cash, MD

Hi sc,

The very short answer is no.  In fact many hyaluronic acid fillers stimulate natural collagen production.  Aging does continue, but there is not any stretching of your skin after facial fillers.  Choose your injecting physician most carefully.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

After filler is gone, does sagging occur

This is a frequently asked question. You will go back to the original state but of course there is the aging that occurs over that time. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

The effect of Voluma after it goes away

Juvederm Voluma is a hyaluronic acid soft tissue filler that is great for improving cheek volume. With proper technique it can even have a lifting effect that lasts for up to 2 years. 

As the filler is gradually absorbed, the volume loss can be seen again, but there shouldn't be more sagging. Some patients tell me that they have a residual effect from the filler, even when it's suppose to be long gone. 

Sagging with filler may occur if too much is injected in the mobile cheek compartment. Since it can move, the more filler you put in it, the heavier it gets. 

Seek out an injector who will take the time for a full consultation about options that will help you. Safety is another priority of a good injector. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Does Voluma cause more sagging after it diminish = NO, we get older! #voluma #cheeks #aging #drmesa

Voluma is an outstanding soft tissue filler to augment the cheeks and give a lifted appearance to the face that lasts up to 2 years.

Once voluma is reabsorbed, the facial tissues tend to sag again because the prominent cheeks are not longer present.  Sagging of the skin after voluma is gone (2 years after) might be worst. This is NOT because voluma caused that, it but because we kept aging (eg. patents when turn 41 year old look older than when they were 39 years old even when voluma is not used). Voluma does NOT prevent aging of the skin. Therefore, in order to prevent or correct sagging to the skin after voluma resorption, patients may need to treat with voluma again.

John Mesa, MD

Voluma and sagging

Hi

Thanks for the question.  Voluma should not cause MORE sagging after it wears off. Typically, the HA fillers will stimulate some new collagen formation over time and therefore should continue to improve the wrinkles and volume loss over time.  Often I see that my patients need less and less filler, and need it less frequently after a couple years of treatment.  Hope this helps

"The above answer has been given without seeing this patient and cannot be substituted for actual in-person examination and medical advice,; it is only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

No, Voluma does not cause sagging later

I think your question arises from the fear/myth that fillers "stretch" the skin out and therefore lead to more sagging later.  This is not true.  Except for possibly celebrities in Beverly Hills most people do not have their faces over-inflated, so the skin is not stretched at all, and therefore no extra sagging will occur.  One does continue to age regardless.

Any minor injury to the skin can be said to create new collagen, and needles poking through the skin, lasers and others methods do this.  So the real question becomes how much new collagen is created?  Will it be enough to see a difference?  Sculptra is the "big" collagen stimulator.   Shortly after Sculptra started marketing Radiesse and Hyluronic acid fillers did "studies" so they could say they stimulate collagen too.  Yes they do, but not anything anyone can see without a microscope. 

Marla M. Klein, MD
Lake Oswego Dermatologic Surgeon