Hair transplant; Does smoking pot affect hair post FUE treatment ?

Marijuana

There are no studies that specifically indicate that it would impact your FUE results. However, smoking of any kind can restrict blood flow which could theoretically impact your grafts. I would recommend waiting at least a month before any kind of smoking.

Santa Monica Hair Restoration Surgeon

Smoking may affect hair transplant results. This includes Follicular Unit Extraction as well as smoking marijuana.

Smoking may affect hair transplant results. This includes Follicular Unit Extraction as well as smoking marijuana.  It is advisable that you do not do this.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

NeoGraft

Thank you for your question. Smoking cigarettes is unhealthy, and inhaling any smoke is unhealthy as well. From a medical standpoint, it is best to avoid smoking of any kind especially after an operation as it will reduce blood flow. I suggest you consult with the board certified facial plastic surgeon who performed your procedure for further detail.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

THC and Nicotine with hair transplant.

Smoking cigarettes will reduce your vasculature and delay healing time.  Results should still be obtained, but may be delayed in some. 

Anecdotally with our patients whom smoke marijuana regularly (2-3x/day) we've noticed a 1 month delay to the onset of growth but once growth occurs, the velocity of the growth catches up with non-thc smokers.

Baubac Hayatdavoudi, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Pot smoking after a hair transplant?

There are no studies looking at the use of cannabis following a hair transplant.  This applies to both FUT and FUE.  I agree that nicotine can reduce the blood flow to the scalp so we encourage patients to avoid this; however, heavy cigarette smokers seem to get great results just as non-smokers get great results.  Smokers do tend to have less circulation to the skin so they bleed much less typically than non-smokers.  

John P. Cole, MD
Atlanta Hair Restoration Surgeon

Pot smoking after transplant

I routinely tell my patients that traditional cigarette smoking is known to reduce the blood supply to the grafts. The same may be the case for pot smoking but I am unaware of any study that proves it. Advice, play it safe.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon