Hard Ball in Eyelid, What is it? (photo)

I have something like a hard ball in my upper eyelid..it doesnt hurt at all,but it is visible.what is it and how is it treated?

Doctor Answers 6

Hard Ball in Eyelid, What is it?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Agree that the medical term is a chalazion. Best to obtain and have surgical removal under local anesthesia. 

Cyst or chalazion of the upper eyelid

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

This hard mass is most likely a chalazion due to an impacted oil gland.  You should be seen by an ophthalmologist for medical care and possible drainage of the cyst.  

Jeffrey Zwiren, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 20 reviews

Likely a stye or a chalazion

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The eyelid has many oil glands that provide lubrication for the ocular surface. Sometimes these glands become blocked and the oil gets trapped within the eyelid causing a small hard bump in the eyelids. Often this will initially cause redness and irritation first, but sometimes not.

I would recommend you see an Oculoplastics surgeon or a comprehensive Ophthalmologist.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 42 reviews

Upper Eyelid Surgery Blepharoplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Difficult to tell exactly without a physical exam but likely a cyst of some type which should be easily removable with just local anesthesia in the office. You should visit a qualified eye or plastic surgeon for further evaluation.

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 51 reviews

Hard painless ball in the upper lid is probably a cyst.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I can't tell much from the photograph. However young patient is hard painless small ball in the upper lid is most often assist. It could be removed with local anesthesia.

Hard ball or small stone in eyelid

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Chalazion is Greek for stone, meaning a small stone in the eyelid. It has a typical appearance, especially from the undersurface of the eyelid.

An oculoplastic surgeon will be able to examine the eyelid and then treat either medically or surgically with incision and curettage. 

Jane Olver, MBBS, FRCS
London Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.3 out of 5 stars 6 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.