Hollow Under Eyes Are Caused by Radiofrequency Treatment?

Hi! I have 10 times radio frequency treatments. As a result, my face was lift up but under eyes and upper eye lid become hollow. How can I fix this problem? Will it be OK after time passes? Usually, tighten skin and removed fat by radio frequency or laser treatment turn back to normal in my experience. Therefore, I assume the fat of under eyes is supposed to back to normal. Is my assumption true? or should I need to have injection such as sculptural, or fat transfer? Please answer me. Thank you.

Hollow around the eyes

The hollowness may be have resulted simply from aging. The treatment is the same though. Usually filler injections are useful. At times, lower blepharoplasty with fat transposition may be best. See an oculoplastic surgeon for evaluation.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Periorbital volume deficiency can be treated with fillers in the office.

I doubt radiofrequency treatments have much effect on fat or skin for that matter. If there is a true volume deficiency around the orbit it can be handled with dermal fillers in the office.

Hollowness under the eyes after RF treatment

Radio frequency treatments will destroy fat cells which in some cases is good and others not so good.  If it has caused a hollowness under your eyes then this volume must be replaced either with fat grafting or soft tissue fillers.  

Hollow under eyes treatment.

The humbleness you have would probably best be treated by using your own tissue but not fat injections. Injections of fat cause a scar sausage appearance. Fillers can be used temporarily. I need to see better pictures to evaluate your specific problem .

Usually, fillers or fat grafting may be used to help in these issues.  Fillers tend to produce smoother results.  However, fat grafting is not unreasonable.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of liposuction and fat transfer procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Hollow under eyes

Fat removal by any means, including natural aging can result in a hollow appearance under the eyes. Correction with fat grafting to restore the loss is probably the best solution.

Fat atrophy from radio-frequency treatments

Yaong, I have seen this problem occur in patients treated with this device. I don't perform this procedure for that reason; we all loose fat in our face over time and accelerating this process artificially never made sense to me. For a hollow appearance under the eyes I prefer a "SOOF lift blepharoplasty." For a hollow appearance in the submalar (cheek bone) area fillers or implants are my preferred treatment. Not a fan of fat injections due to them being too unpredictable. Good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fat grafting can help hollowness

RF devices can definitely dissolve fat in the face, which for some, is a good thing, but for others, like you, may not be so good. Fortunately, facial fat grafting can restore that lost volume very successfully.

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

Radiofrequency treatment and facial hollowness

There is an emerging recognition that radiofrequency treatments cause facial fat to dissolve, resulting in hollowness.  Many of us have seen dramatically negative effects from radiofrequency treatments in the face, particularly in patients with very thin skin and little facial fat.

We have a radio frequency machine, and use it quite successfully, but for heavierset patients and on the body.  It is fairly effective in treating cellulite.

I would caution patients not to get radiofrequency treatments in the face unless excess fat is present.  

For patients with hollowness around the eye from any cause, a USIC cheeklift (short incision cheek lift), with or without fat-fascial grafting, often helps elevate the thicker cheek tissue to hide the undereye hollowness.  Restylane helps but Sulptra is a poor solution for the undereyes in my opinion due to lumpiness.

Brent Moelleken, MD