Will a low platelet count keep me from having my breast augmentation?

My BA is in 10 days and I recived a call saying my platelets were low and needed more blood work. The order says CBC W/DIFF . SO complete blood count with differentials??? What will this tell the surgeon? Will I need to postpone my surgery??

Platelet count

Thank you for your question.  The most important question is what the platelet count is.  No, a low platelet count will not prevent you from having surgery.  >50,000 is still very reasonable.  However, a very low count, typically <20,000 is definitely something that needs to be investigated.  Your surgeon seems to be doing the right move, which is getting a CBC to evaluate the true platelet count.  Best of luck.

Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Low platelet count

Low platelet levels could bring bleeding issues during surgery.  I would advise speaking with your surgeon regarding this matter and he/she can share what the next step for you should be.  Safety is always the first priority in any surgery.  

Camille Cash, MD

Low Platelet Count

Thanks for your question and I'm sorry that the platelet count has you wondering about your upcoming surgery. I strongly urge you to speak directly with your plastic surgeon – he or she will appreciate the open communication and they should be happy to discuss the risks and benefits of any procedures. I wish you all the best.

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation Safety

Low platelets can lead to more bleeding during surgery. Our cutoff is 100K but each surgeon will have different levels of comfort. You should follow your surgeons recommendations for maximum safety.

Safety and Plastic Surgery

Safety First!!  Contact your board certified plastic surgeon to determine the next steps. Best of luck to you!

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Pre-op Blood Work

The first priority for any Plastic Surgeon is patient safety. As we evaluate each patient prior to surgery we are checking specific indicators of potential problems in surgery. A low platelet level can increase your risk of bleeding during surgery or after the surgery itself. Bruising may also be worse. A low platelet count may be caused by mild illness but may also indicate other illnesses that have effects on healing and bleeding risk. Safety is our first priority, and if delaying surgery for a short time is necessary please understand that the decision is made with your safety in mind.

Douglas Leppink, MD
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Platelets and Surgery

If your platelets are low, your body may not be able to stop bleeding in a normal amount of time.  That can lead to increased bleeding during and after surgery, increasing the risk of a hematoma or contracture down the line.  Your surgeon should check your coagulation panel ( a PT/PTT/INR test) and your bleeding time.  These are both blood tests and can show whether your low platelet count has any effect on your bleeding.  I would be very cautious with proceeding without more information.  I hope this helps.

A platelt count lower than "normal" is not a contraindication to surgery, it depends on how low the count actually is and you have not given us that information.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Low platelet count

It depends. What is your platelet count? If its borderline low you are probably fine. If it truly is low then it may be wise to see a hematologist prior to surgery as bleeding may be a higher risk. A simple history may give you the answer regarding prior menstrual cycles with heavy bleeding? do you bleed excessively if cut? do you bruise easily? If the answer is yes to these be cautious. A CBC only give you a platelet count. There are other tests that actually measure your clotting time which is only needed if you have some underlying genetic disorder. good luck

Low platelets

Platelets are very important in clot formation and the ability to stop bleeding. If your platelets are low this could led to bleeding problems at surgery or hematoma formation after surgery. Platelets also play a role in initial wound healing. First, recheck your count to see if it is really low or just lab error. If its low, postpone your operation and see your healthcare team for proper evaluation. Good luck and be well..

Kevin Maguire, MD
Vermont Plastic Surgeon