Is it ok to take allergy medications before surgery?

I am having breast augmentation surgery 3/26/15. I am currently battling springtime allergies here in Oklahoma and am miserable if I do not take anything. I had my pre op today and told my doctor I have been taking Flonase and Allegra for the last few days. He indicated that it was ok. I know I am not suppose to take any anti-inflammatory medications and Flonase has a steroid in it. I would appreciate any other knowledge as I do not want any complications during or post op. Thank you.

Preoperative Medications

Continuing a topical steroid like flonase is unlikely to have significant effects on your healing. Should be ok.

Talk to your Plastic Surgeon about Medication Use

Prescription and over the counter #medication use are not a matters that  surgeons or physicians than your own can advise on, without seeing you in-person or knowing your #medical history and surgical details. Therefore, its best to ask your surgeon this and about any additional medication use you have concerns about.

Allergy medications and surger

Thank you for your question.  It is ok to take allergy medications before and after surgery.  You will probably feel much better taking them than not!  Best of luck.

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Pre op medication

The anti inflammatories to avoid are NSAID s like aspirin or Motrin. Allergy medication is usually okay. Consult with your surgeon. 

Mark D. Wigod, MD
Boise Plastic Surgeon

Personally, I see no problem with you continuing your meds, but the only advice you should take is that of your surgeon. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Allergy medications

Thank you for your answer. there should be no problem with allergy medications before surgery. 

Allergy Medications prior to surgery

I agree with your surgeon that it is ok to continue your allergy medications prior to your operation.  There is evidence that Flonase does not have a strong systemic side effect meaning that it is mostly locally working as a steroid.  This should not affect your wound healing with a breast augmentation.  Breath easy!