350cc or 375cc round moderate plus profile?

I'm wanting to achieve a full C cup. I am currently 5'5 weighing at 107lbs. My bra size is 32A, but I have some empty space in my bra. So, I am not a full A cup. I am debating whether 350cc or 375cc will achieve that full C cup. Also, which would allow me to do lifting exercises, behind or over the muscle?

350-375cc?

It is very difficult to determine the best lift you will need (recommended based on your photos) or the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 300 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. The same process goes for just filling in the upper part of your breast without becoming much larger. Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in the link below including silicone vs saline implants

Muscle is Weaker After Partially Subpectoral placement

Dear Anm02,

The other surgeons have answered questions about the size difference you are debating.  Now, regarding your question about lifting-  My patients have reported some weakness of the pectoralis major muscles after breast implants are placed underneath.  Most of my patients are not serious body builders or weight lifters, but a few who are have noticed a decrease in ability to do pushups, chinups and dips.  I am hoping they will be able to return to baseline strength after much time and patience.  I have not read any scientific data on this point.  It makes sense to expect some weakness- the muscle is cut loose at the inferior rib origin, and the implant stretches and thins the muscle.  If I see a scholarship athlete or fitness competitor, I discuss deferring the surgery until they are out of active competition or discuss placing the implants on top.

D'Arcy Honeycutt, MD
Bismarck Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. The difference between these two implants is subtle with a 3-4 mm base diameter increase and 1 mm more projection in the 375 compared to the 350 cc. By trying the implant sizers in the office and having some "Inspiration Photos" (photos of how you would ideally like to look) will help us to understand your final goal. Communication is the key.

Brian J. Lee, MD
Fort Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Implants

A 25 cc difference is not a lot and you are likely not gong to notice the difference between the two implants. 

Breast Augmentation - Size Selection

Thank you for your question. "Tissue based planning" relies on your chest and breast measurements and is the safest way to ensure good long term results. Your surgeon should determine what size and projection are necessary to give you your desired result based on your body's measurements. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic breast surgery. Hope this helps and good luck with your surgery.

Implant size

Hello and thank you for your question.  The size, profile, and shape of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  This entire surgery can be performed with a small incision technique.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Breast Augmentation

I think the best thing for you to do is to utilize computer imaging to gain an understanding of what the different size and shaped implants  would do for your body.

Implant size

Either size will likely work well for you as there isn't a great deal of difference between the sizes. Since you are thin it probably makes sense to put the implants under the muscle for optimal coverage. You should be able to exercise once you are healed 

David R. Alfonso, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

350cc or 375cc round moderate plus profile

Thank you for sharing your question. Breast implant selection is an exciting, but stressful part of the breast augmentation process as there are so many choices. Unfortunately it is impossible to recommend the best implant style, size or shape without an in-person examination that allows for the measurement of key breast parameters, as well as permits an in-depth discussion as to your desired goals and outcome. I would recommend seeing an ASPS board certified plastic surgeon, they are in the best position to ensure that the implants the two of your decide upon are the right ones to meet your expectations.  A 25cc implant difference is not typically noticeable on patients when considered it is distributed along the entire size of the implant, so choose which one you like better.  Additionally with either placement above or below your muscle you will be able to still perform lifting exercises. Hope this helps!

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.  

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).

Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.

These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon