What is the difference between High Profile Implants versus Moderate Implants?

I have been on my journey to get a Breast Augmentation. I have scanned through photos of before & afters and have noticed in the description some state High Profiles and others state Moderate. I'd greatly appreciate any responses to clarify the differences, advantages, disadvantages, more of a natural look. Thank you in advance!

Projection

The profile of an implant is how much the implant sticks out or projects when looking at your breasts from the side. A higher profile implant will make your breasts come out a farther distance from your chest. Generally speaking, a moderate or moderate plus implant is often considered to give a more natural look and are more popular for breast augmentation. One advantage of a high profile implant is that some patients desire larger volume implants but are limited by a narrow chest size. High or ultra high profile implants can allow a patient to have greater volume in their implants for any given chest size. It is important to have an in-office examination so precise measurements can be taken to determine the best implant options available to you. Hope this helps!

Johnson C. Lee, MD Plastic Surgery

Beverly Hills Physician

Breast Implant Profiles

The profile refers to the projection off your chest. The higher the profile, the more projection. There are a range of profiles from low to high. There are different grades of low, moderate, and high profiles. The most common profile to achieve natural full results is the moderate plus. This will be discussed during your consult. 

Justin Yovino, MD, FACS

Implant type

If you are getting silicone implants, they come in a moderate plus profile, which gets great results.  If you are getting saline implants, I have found that high profile implants tend to ripple less than moderate profile, so high profile is my choice in saline.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

What is the difference between High Profile Implants versus Moderate Implants

High profile implants are more narrow at the base. This fact allows the implant to have more projection. It can be sued in a patient that wants a certain volume in their implant but has narrow breast width measurements. Having said that, natural breast are not as projected and narrow at the base as a high profile implant. In cases such as that it can give a patient a less natural , more operated-on appearance.

Julio Garcia, MD

Implant Profiles

Great question!  The difference between the profiles is how much projection the implants provide to your breasts.  High profile will provide more projection (breast fullness) and Moderate or Moderate plus will provide less projection.  What is best for you will depend on what your goals are and what you want to look like.  I usually tell my patients to bring in photos of breasts they like or pick from a photo book we have in the office to determine what is best for you.  I also show patients sample implants so they can see the difference between the profiles.  There are no advantages or disadvantages to either, its more or what appearance you desire your breasts to become.

Best of luck and hope this information helps!

- Dr. Roger Tsai

Roger Tsai, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

The difference between breast implant profiles

This is a great question and can cause some confusion when you begin your research.  I would recommend scheduling a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in breast augmentation surgery to discuss which implants will be best suited for you.  Your surgeon will be able to explain which style of breast implant will be best for you based on your goals and breast anatomy.  In general, the different profiles have different diameters and projections.  Seeing the implants at your consultation appointment and trying them on will definitely help you get more clarification on your options.  Best of luck!

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.  

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).

Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.

These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

High profile implants project outwardly more and a have a narrower diameter than moderate profile implants with the same number of cc.s.

The best cosmetic result in any particular breast augmentation patient depends on a variety of factors, including: your individual anatomy, realistic expectations, desired result, a thorough discussion with the plastic surgeon about the options, and an understanding of the pros and cons of any particular implant choice. Proper sizing is not just about the number of cc’s or implant type. The thickness of your tissue, breast dimensions which include the width, height, and projection, as well as chest wall width all need to be considered when choosing an implant. Trying on implant “sizers” of various shapes and volumes while wearing a tight t-shirt, bra, or bathing sit at a preoperative visit will help you and your surgeon choose the optimal implant.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this  or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)  that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD  FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

The term profile, or projection, refers to how far forward the implants project from your rib surface. High profile implants project more forward than moderate ones. A natural human breast has moderate projection. Hope that helps. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Implant profile

Thank you for the question and today manufactures offer different shapes for the same volume implants with the narrower diameter implants being called high profile and the wider moderate, much like the difference between a meatball and a hamburger made from the same amount of meat.  Ideally one wants to use an implant that is no wider then the base diameter of the patient's breast

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD