Can I ask for more cc's last minute before surgery if I am getting saline implants?

I am getting 300 cc saline implants under the muscle in about a week. I am stressing that I may be disappointed at how small they will look and I am wishing that I went with the 330 or 360 cc's instead. I know that saline implants can be filled to a maximum amount, so would it be okay if I asked my surgeon on the day of surgery to add about 30 more cc's than I originally planned? Or should I just stick with the original plan since my surgery is only a week away.

Implant volume is your choice

so you should be able to ask to have the implants filled to the max and if you really want larger, perhaps your surgeon has the next size up that could be used in your procedure.  Remember, you are the patient and paying for this procedure and your surgeon should do everything possible to provide you the result you want, is the implants are available.

Can I ask for more cc's last minute before surgery if I am getting saline implants

Whether or not more saline can be put into you implant depends on what size implant the surgeon ordered for you.  Normally saline implants have about a 50 cc range of variability. If they had ordered an implant that was going to take you to 300cc as the top fill and they go over that amount, you can get ridges on the edge of the implant, like scalloping. Best to talk it over with your surgeon before proceeding

Julio Garcia, MD

Breast Implant Sizing

It's not so easy as picking any size you want. You will need to be examined to see if you have adequate tissues to accommodate a larger implant. This is called tissue based implant selection or biodimensional planning.  In terms of determining your aesthetic goal, you should have been sized in the office in front of the mirror to see your potential results with a 300 cc implant. If your doctor isn't an ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeon,  you should keep shopping. As an aside, don't get saline; you are likely to be unhappy with it. Finally, you want the incision that minimizes your risk of capsular contracture: inframammary incision.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

More cc's before surgery

I would recommend you speak to your surgeon, let him know what you are looking to achieve speak to him with enough time before surgery so that you are both in agreement before the surgery date.  Don't leave it for the last minute.  *

N. Bill Aydin, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Each office will differ however in my practice it is routine to have a variety of implants available to make last-minute adjustments.  Your surgeon may work differently and may already be planning to add to the 300 mL implant to reduce the risk of rippling. Consquently a 30 mL size increase might imply the need for a 330 mL implant's availability.  I would suggest that you contact your surgeon's office to make them aware of your possible change of heart so that they are prepared and not liking implant at the last minute.  Best wishes and enjoy your results,

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

I would suggest that  you discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon who should be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS). You should discuss it before your surgical date.

Robert Singer, MD  FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

There is still time for your surgeon to order the larger implants if you let his office know your concerns. We can adjust the volume in a saline implant a small amount but for a significant volume increase it requires a larger implant. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Adding more fluid to your saline implants

You cannot just add more fluid to your saline implants with out compromising your results; saline implants are traditionally over inflated by approximately 20cc in order to get the slack out of the shell so that you don't have the shell of the implant rubbing on itself (this is felt to be the cause of a tear); over inflating by anymore will result in firm implants that you can feel (they will feel like water balloons); just ask you surgeon to use a larger implant.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Changing size of saline implants

Generally it is not a problem for a patient to decide on larger implants on the day of surgery. Most practices keep a large supply of implants in varying sizes for just that reason. Check with your PS to be sure.

Good luck!

Brian Widenhouse, MD
Charleston Plastic Surgeon

Notify your doctor

Best to notify your doctor for a slightly larger saline implant.

Saline can be overfilled, but in the future your warranty could be voided if you are filled more than the maximum recommended by the manufacturer.