4 days after Juvederm and uneven bumpy lips, is this swelling or final result? (Photo)

I had 1 syringe of juvederm injected last Thursday, four days ago. I had a lot of swelling which has dissipated greatly however now I see that my top lip is very uneven. is this something that will resolve as more swelling goes down or should I go back to see my doctor? I do have a small scar on my upper lip but I didn't think this would interfere with the fillers.

A little difference in your upper lip is normal, and fullness will go down after swelling subsides and filler material settles

Thank you for your question. I understand you had one syringe of Juvederm injected into your lips four days ago. You noticed some bumpiness and unevenness in the upper lip, and you’re worried about whether this is due to the swelling, if a small scar in your upper lip affected it, or if this is the final result.

I can certainly help you with your concern. To give you a bit of information about myself — I am a Board-certified cosmetic surgeon and a Fellowship-trained oculofacial plastic and reconstructive surgeon, practicing in Manhattan and Long Island for over 20 years. Facial rejuvenation is certainly at the core of my practice, so I work with injectable fillers frequently.

It’s very important to understand that it is normal to see variability when it comes to the lips. In my practice, I always try to explain to my patients who want lip enhancement that there is a spectrum of controllability and a degree of swelling with the lips. For example, someone who wants to augment the border of the lips will have a different degree of swelling compared to someone who wants to augment the border and the actual pink part of their lips. Essentially, the more places you inject, the more likely you will experience variability and swelling. It’s also important to know the lips swell very easily, and the smallest bit of trauma can result in significant swelling. This is especially apparent in patients for whom this is a new experience, and they often become surprised at the way the body responds to the trauma of the injection and the integration of the filler into the soft tissue of the lips.

After lip augmentation, I usually tell my patients to come see me again after two weeks. I find that the two-week mark is an ideal window for me to see if there is need for additional modifications or enhancement. I also tell my patients that we always have an open door policy, and that they can always reach me if they have any concerns, so certainly they can also choose to come and see me even before the two-week mark. I think that as long as the line of communication between you and your doctor is open, then you should be able to see them to have this concern taken care of.

In terms of what you can do for now, I’ve observed that a little bit of massage can help get you through the next couple of weeks. In addition, since the material is integrated into the tissue of your lips, even the act of talking, smiling, and just the natural dynamic nature of the lips can also help shape the material.  You can attempt to massage your lips a little, but this is dependent on what your doctor recommends.

I think it’s important to keep in mind that if you’re going to have lip augmentation done, you need to allow an adequate amount of time for the material to settle and for the swelling to resolve. You don’t want to do injectables before a very important presentation the next day. You’ll want to allow two weeks for things to resolve and then see your doctor about issues concerning asymmetry and irregularities.

There is certainly an art to doing injectables in the lips. In many ways, it is comparable to doing other types of surgeries, wherein you like how things look in the operating room, but then a significant amount of swelling will occur after the surgery, which can change the way things look from what it was in the operating room. Experienced physicians will be confident in knowing that what they did in the operating room will eventually be the final result once all the swelling and healing are completed.

I suggest that you get in touch with your doctor so they can examine your situation and give you proper assurance. I can understand how patients can feel very concerned after trying injectables for the first time, and this is why having an open door policy is very important for me in my practice. Most of the time, however, the two-week mark is ideal for a follow-up evaluation.

I hope that was helpful and I wish you the best of luck!

This personalized video answer to your question is posted on RealSelf and on YouTube. To provide you with a personal and expert response, we use the image(s) you submitted on RealSelf in the video, but with respect to your privacy, we only show the body feature in question so you are not personally identifiable. If you prefer not to have your video question visible on YouTube, please contact us.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Juvederm and swelling

Swelling is a very common occurrence after Juvederm injections.  I always tell my patients to wait 2 weeks before we evaluate the results and consider injecting more fillers.  Always seek treatment from a qualified professional.  Good luck!

Jennifer Trent, MD, FAAD
Sarasota Dermatologic Surgeon

Swelling/Bruising/Lumpiness (early) from Fillers

I always tell my patients to not love their filler injections for 2 weeks. Swelling is very common and sometimes immediate. It can last 3-7 days and a good idea is to use cold compresses. Cold compresses may be used immediately after treatment to reduce swelling only if needed. This may be applied for 3 minutes, 3 times per day, for up to 3 days. This is best done with a bag of peas in a zip lock bag. Only apply light pressure to the area but gentle massage might be necessary if the bump is from the filler material itself. Get Arnica gel if you can find some and apply a few times a day as well to help treat any swelling. Avoid any blood thinners. Bruising can also last 1-2 weeks. I don't recommend hyaluronidase this early and wait a few weeks until the swelling has resolved. If it is persistent or you are worried, set up a follow up appointment with your dermatologist.

Alim R. Devani, MD, FRCPC
Calgary Dermatologist

4 days after Juvederm and uneven bumpy lips, is this swelling or final result?

Thank you for your question and photographs.  I would anticipate some continued improvement in your lip appearance as the remaining swelling resolves and the filler material begins to soften and appear more natural.  Allow your results a full two weeks to mature. If not happy with your lip appearance then, speak to your injector about an adjustment injection.  Hope this helps.

Swelling after filler

Hello, and thanks for your question.

Post-filler swelling can take 1-2 weeks to fully subside, so it may be early to assess your final result. If you are not pleased with your final result, the product can be dissolved with injection of an enzyme called hyaluronidase. To maximize the likelihood of a favorable outcome, I recommend that you only get treated by a well-trained and experienced dermatologist or plastic surgeon.  

Hope this opinion is helpful to you. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.   

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Question about swelling to lips after #Juvederm

Hi Hf7zj, Thanks for your excellent questions about bumpiness after your Juvederm injetions to the lips.  It's quite common to have a bumpy sensation after juvederm, however without an in person exam or consult it's impossible to say for sure.  Be sure to follow up and speak with the provider who performed your injections -- they may wish to see you in person.  I hope this has been helpful and unfortunately swelling the lips is common. For your plastic surgery needs be sure to meet with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS) and a member of the ASPS and ASAPS. My very best, Brian S. Coan, MD, FACS

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Lips and filler

A small depression near your scar can absolutely be from the scar tissue.  You may also need more filler in that area.  Best of luck.

Final Result After Juvederm

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photographs.  Sorry that you are having some concerns about your postprocedure appearance.  Please keep in mind that it will take 2 weeks to see your final result.  Swelling and bruising after filler injection is normal, especially in the lips.  Icing can help for up to 48 hours postprocedure.  Arnica can also help to minimize postprocedure swelling and bruising.  My best advice would be to give it a full 2 weeks to allow for normal postprocedure swelling and bruising to resolve and to see your final result.  At that point, if you continue to have any concerns, please contact your injector for an in-person reevaluation in order to best address your concerns and to determine the best course of action.  Best wishes!