One Eye Bigger Than the Other? (photo)

Hi Doctors, I have taken a few pics of mine recently and I am noticing that one of my eyes is larger than the other.. Though in normal day to day life, I hadnt realised it. It is more clear iin the photos. Is there any natural or exercises I can do to make it better? I am 23 years old and would not like to do surgery.

You need to be assessed by an oculoplastic surgeon

You do have marked facial asymmetry.  The left eye does appear much smaller than the right.  This is not simply a cosmetic issue.  You need to be assessed for this.  Is this a new phenomena that is getting progressively worse.  This might be consistent with a syndrome called the "silent sinus syndrome."  This is caused by closure of the maxillary sinus due to sinus disease which results in the sinus collapsing.  The cure is to open the sinus with sinus surgery and repair the orbit if indicated.  Other causes may not be progressive such and having eyes of different size.  Sometimes the issue is heaviness of the eyelid that makes one eye appear smaller.  Expert assessment will determine the basis for this asymmetry and what should be done if anything.  This is not just a cosmetic issue.  The American Society for Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery maintains as website with a regional directory that can help you find a well qualified surgeon in your area to consult with.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Slight Assymmetry of the Eyes

Thank you for your pictures.  Part of any assessment by a board-certified plastic surgeonspecifically trained in eyelid surgery would involve a comprehensive assessment of the bony aspect of her face as well as any asymmetry of the eyes. Silent sinus syndrome can occur but is fairly rare.  I do notice that the right lower eyelid is slightly inferiorly placed compared to the left lower eyelid.  The upper eyelid position looks rather symmetric.  After a comprehensive exam to rule out any deeper tissue, a very small amount of Botox near the lower eyelid may help restore symmetry to your eyes. I would definitely recommended assessment by qualified surgeon. 

Salvatore Pacella, MD, MBA, FACS

One Eye Bigger Than the Other? (photo)

You have subtle aymmetry, I suspect that you may have a larger eye socket on the left and as a result the eye globe sits a bit deeper. You have to decide if this is recent event and is it gettting worse. If you compare your old photographs this will be evident. You should see a cranio facial surgeon who can help you.

All the best

Naveen Somia, MBBS, PhD, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Your Eyes are Asymmetrical but Pretty

You do have noticeable asymmetries of your eyes with the left being smaller. The big picture is that of attractive eyes. Therefore I would not recommend any surgical intervention - although they exist.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eye shape asymmetry

Asymmetry is very common with all facial features.  There is really no suggested surgical or non surgical correction indicated.  

Unveven eyes/eyelids

Greetings,

If you feel your asymmetry is new, then I would seek a conslultation with an oculoplastic surgeon for evaluation. Either side may be the cause of the asymmetry, either ptosis, or sinus problems on the left, or thyroid orbitopathy or orbital tumor on the right. Once you figure out the cause of the asymmetry, the problem may be better addressed. Best regards.

Malena Amato, MD
Austin Oculoplastic Surgeon

One eye bigger than the other

Everyone has a dominant eye and a non-dominant. Asymmetry of the eyelids is the norm. There is no exercise that could make it any better.

Eye asymmetry

This is much more common than one would think. If you look closely your left brow is higher than your right. This could also be an affect of an uneven photo. I think that is the main difference. Again this is common if you look closely at many faces. A unilateral brow lift can help with this.  It is possible you have a bony asymmetry that is underlying. Sometimes it can be a hypoplastic maxillary sinus. That just means the cavity in the middle of your face is smaller on one side than the other. It has no importance unless you are to under go a sinus surgery it should be noted. 

Hope this helps.

DrC

Benjamin Caughlin, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

One eye bigger than the other

You do have asymmetry. This is beyond a cosmetic issue. You will need to assess if this is a new issue and if the condition is worsening. Consult in person with an experienced and expert cranio facial surgeon to understand your options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Orbital Asymmetry

Asymmetry of the orbits and eyes is an extremely common problem. It's safe to say that the vast majority of patients have orbital asymmetry to some degree. The vast majority of patients with this problem don't require surgical correction.

When patients have severe asymmetry, surgical intervention is occasionally indicated. However, in most cases, the risk benefit ratio doesn't justify this type of intervention. Unfortunately, there are no exercises that can improve orbital asymmetry.

It's important to realize that most patients have some orbital asymmetry. Your findings suggest that you fall within the normal range and for this reason, treatment isn't indicated.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon