One Eye Bigger Than the Other? (photo)

Hi Doctors, I have taken a few pics of mine recently and I am noticing that one of my eyes is larger than the other.. Though in normal day to day life, I hadnt realised it. It is more clear iin the photos. Is there any natural or exercises I can do to make it better? I am 23 years old and would not like to do surgery.

Slight Assymmetry of the Eyes

Thank you for your pictures.  Part of any assessment by a board-certified plastic surgeonspecifically trained in eyelid surgery would involve a comprehensive assessment of the bony aspect of her face as well as any asymmetry of the eyes. Silent sinus syndrome can occur but is fairly rare.  I do notice that the right lower eyelid is slightly inferiorly placed compared to the left lower eyelid.  The upper eyelid position looks rather symmetric.  After a comprehensive exam to rule out any deeper tissue, a very small amount of Botox near the lower eyelid may help restore symmetry to your eyes. I would definitely recommended assessment by qualified surgeon. 

You need to be assessed by an oculoplastic surgeon

You do have marked facial asymmetry.  The left eye does appear much smaller than the right.  This is not simply a cosmetic issue.  You need to be assessed for this.  Is this a new phenomena that is getting progressively worse.  This might be consistent with a syndrome called the "silent sinus syndrome."  This is caused by closure of the maxillary sinus due to sinus disease which results in the sinus collapsing.  The cure is to open the sinus with sinus surgery and repair the orbit if indicated.  Other causes may not be progressive such and having eyes of different size.  Sometimes the issue is heaviness of the eyelid that makes one eye appear smaller.  Expert assessment will determine the basis for this asymmetry and what should be done if anything.  This is not just a cosmetic issue.  The American Society for Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery maintains as website with a regional directory that can help you find a well qualified surgeon in your area to consult with.

One Eye Bigger Than the Other? (photo)

You have subtle aymmetry, I suspect that you may have a larger eye socket on the left and as a result the eye globe sits a bit deeper. You have to decide if this is recent event and is it gettting worse. If you compare your old photographs this will be evident. You should see a cranio facial surgeon who can help you.

All the best

Your Eyes are Asymmetrical but Pretty

You do have noticeable asymmetries of your eyes with the left being smaller. The big picture is that of attractive eyes. Therefore I would not recommend any surgical intervention - although they exist.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eye shape asymmetry

Asymmetry is very common with all facial features.  There is really no suggested surgical or non surgical correction indicated.  

One eye bigger than the other

You do have asymmetry. This is beyond a cosmetic issue. You will need to assess if this is a new issue and if the condition is worsening. Consult in person with an experienced and expert cranio facial surgeon to understand your options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Orbital Asymmetry

Asymmetry of the orbits and eyes is an extremely common problem. It's safe to say that the vast majority of patients have orbital asymmetry to some degree. The vast majority of patients with this problem don't require surgical correction.

When patients have severe asymmetry, surgical intervention is occasionally indicated. However, in most cases, the risk benefit ratio doesn't justify this type of intervention. Unfortunately, there are no exercises that can improve orbital asymmetry.

It's important to realize that most patients have some orbital asymmetry. Your findings suggest that you fall within the normal range and for this reason, treatment isn't indicated.

Uneven eyes

The first thing to consider is having an evaluation as to which eye is the "problem".  There are reasons to cause bulging of one eye or sinking of the other.  Often an evaluation with an orbital and oculoplastic surgeon can sort through these issues and come to a resolution.

Uneven eyelids

There are several possible reasons for uneven eyelids and this is present in the majority of the population but much like yourself it isn't always noticed.

Its difficult to tell from your photo but it appears that your left brow is slightly lower and the left lower eyelid has more tone.  Sometimes a small amount of botox can correct that.  However, there may be bony differences or even soft tissue differences that are difficult to tell from the photo.

Mike Majmundar, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eye asymmetry

You do have some asymmetry.  Either the globe is larger on the right compared to left or the eye socket is smaller on the right compared to the left.   As long as this is not something that is changing rapidly and you have no symptoms other than cosmetic, I would not recommend any treatment.  Your eyes are attractive and no surgical intervention is recommended.  If things change I would recommend a surgical evaluation.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon

Donald Nunn, MD