One Eye Bigger Than the Other? (photo)

Hi Doctors, I have taken a few pics of mine recently and I am noticing that one of my eyes is larger than the other.. Though in normal day to day life, I hadnt realised it. It is more clear iin the photos. Is there any natural or exercises I can do to make it better? I am 23 years old and would not like to do surgery.

One Eye Bigger Than the Other? (photo)

You have subtle aymmetry, I suspect that you may have a larger eye socket on the left and as a result the eye globe sits a bit deeper. You have to decide if this is recent event and is it gettting worse. If you compare your old photographs this will be evident. You should see a cranio facial surgeon who can help you.

All the best

One Eye Bigger Than the Other? (photo)

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

All the best

You need to be assessed by an oculoplastic surgeon

You do have marked facial asymmetry.  The left eye does appear much smaller than the right.  This is not simply a cosmetic issue.  You need to be assessed for this.  Is this a new phenomena that is getting progressively worse.  This might be consistent with a syndrome called the "silent sinus syndrome."  This is caused by closure of the maxillary sinus due to sinus disease which results in the sinus collapsing.  The cure is to open the sinus with sinus surgery and repair the orbit if indicated.  Other causes may not be progressive such and having eyes of different size.  Sometimes the issue is heaviness of the eyelid that makes one eye appear smaller.  Expert assessment will determine the basis for this asymmetry and what should be done if anything.  This is not just a cosmetic issue.  The American Society for Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery maintains as website with a regional directory that can help you find a well qualified surgeon in your area to consult with.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Slight Assymmetry of the Eyes

Thank you for your pictures.  Part of any assessment by a board-certified plastic surgeonspecifically trained in eyelid surgery would involve a comprehensive assessment of the bony aspect of her face as well as any asymmetry of the eyes. Silent sinus syndrome can occur but is fairly rare.  I do notice that the right lower eyelid is slightly inferiorly placed compared to the left lower eyelid.  The upper eyelid position looks rather symmetric.  After a comprehensive exam to rule out any deeper tissue, a very small amount of Botox near the lower eyelid may help restore symmetry to your eyes. I would definitely recommended assessment by qualified surgeon. 

Slight Assymmetry of the Eyes

Your Eyes are Asymmetrical but Pretty

You do have noticeable asymmetries of your eyes with the left being smaller. The big picture is that of attractive eyes. Therefore I would not recommend any surgical intervention - although they exist.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Your Eyes are Asymmetrical but Pretty

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eye shape asymmetry

Asymmetry is very common with all facial features.  There is really no suggested surgical or non surgical correction indicated.  

Eye shape asymmetry

Gorgeous eyes with normal asymmetry.

Look closely at many famous faces and models.  Asymmetry is everywhere.  Don't worry,  you won't need surgery because if this is a photo of your eyes they are quite beautiful.  That being said, if you'd like an explanation from your photo is appears your left eye may be slightly more deep set than the right for reasons I can only speculate since I'm not seeing you in person.  Typically this is due to a slight difference in the volume of your orbit or eye socket on on side vs. the other.  Unless this is a very obvious new issue (in which case go see an Ophthalmologist) simply go on being an attractive person.

Chase Lay, MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Gorgeous eyes with normal asymmetry.

Chase Lay, MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Not all of us are symmetric--and that is OK, but Botox just might help you out!

You have pointed out some mild asymmetries in your eyes, but it doesn't really seem to be anything alarming or due to a pathologic process. I think a very simple fix would be to have 1-2 units of Botox placed along your left lower lid, which will slightly lower the lower lid margin to the level of the right side. This may make your eyes look more symmetric.

The big eye-little eye situation

It is very common for one eye opening (called the palpebral fissure) to be larger than the other. Sometimes we make a point of looking for that in celebrity photos. There are some who have almost perfectly symmetric eyes, but many who do not. Your eyes have some differences that have been pointed out already, but the lids sit in good position relative to your pupils and do not appear droopy or otherwise abnormal.  Sometimes there are underlying anatomic reasons for this and if you are very concerned, in-person assessment would be reasonable. You might obtain better symmetry with something as simple as filler injection or a very conservative eyelid operation. A board certified plastic surgeon who routinely does eyelid operations can discuss your options in detail. I agree with at least one of the other reviewers that your eyes are already quite attractive. 

The big eye-little eye situation

Positive Eye Asymmetry

Thanks for the photos! To give the most accurate solution for your eye asymmetry, a comprehensive assessment should be done first by a board certified surgeon – especially one whose practice emphasis is eyelid surgeries. This assessment will evaluate your face’s bony aspect then proceed to your eye asymmetry. It could be a case of Silent Sinus Syndrome, though this is actually quite rare.

Looking at the photos, the slight asymmetry of your eyes is noticeable. Your right lower lid is slightly inferiorly placed as compared to the left lower lid. The photos are limiting so a clinical history and physical exam are needed to give a good assessment . The upper lid looks symmetric though.

Still, it is recommended to undergo assessment by a qualified plastic surgeon or ophthalmic surgeon for accurate treatment. Asymmetry is common so there is good chance nothing needs to be done except an evaluation.

Positive Eye Asymmetry

Unveven eyes/eyelids

Greetings,

If you feel your asymmetry is new, then I would seek a conslultation with an oculoplastic surgeon for evaluation. Either side may be the cause of the asymmetry, either ptosis, or sinus problems on the left, or thyroid orbitopathy or orbital tumor on the right. Once you figure out the cause of the asymmetry, the problem may be better addressed. Best regards.

Malena Amato, MD
Austin Oculoplastic Surgeon

Unveven eyes/eyelids

Greetings,

Malena Amato, MD
Austin Oculoplastic Surgeon