Asymmetrical Eyes - One Eye is Slightly Higher Than the Other? (photo)

Hello I am wondering if my wonky/asymmetrical eye alignment can be corrected with surgery? The eye and the tear duct are not aligned, as you can see from my picture. Please let me know if this can be fixed surgically as this has caused me a lot of upset throughout my life. Thanks in advance

Asymmetrical Eyes - One Eye is Slightly Higher Than the Other?

Thank you for your question. It is normal for asymmetrical, If you are complaining about dropping of the eyelids or lower eyelid bagginess then you might be a good candidate for the Laser Blepharoplasty operation. Although the plastic surgery era is highly developed and there are new treatment models for several other procedures; there is still no efficient alternative of blepharoplasty operation. If you are not comfortable with the look of your eyelids blepharoplasty operation may be a solution for you.

Boney Orbital Asymmetry

There are multiple anatomic abnormalities that can result in asymmetry of the eyes and face. These may include deformities of the orbital bones, eyelids and eyebrows. In most cases, they are relatively minor but in some cases, they may be severe and extremely noticeable. Depending upon the deformity, treatment may or may not be possible.

Your history and pictures suggest the presence of boney orbital asymmetry. Asymmetry of the facial bones can be a major contributor to facial asymmetry. When this occurs, it's not unusual to have one side of the face that has a depressed orbital rim and flattened cheekbone and an eye that appears smaller than the opposite eye. These findings are often related to a condition called plagiocephaly.

Unfortunately, it's not possible to correct this type of deformity without major surgery upon the facial skeleton. This type of surgery wouldn't be justified for a relatively minor deformity.

If you're concerned about facial asymmetry, it's reasonable to consult a board certified plastic surgeon. This surgeon should be able to address your concerns and alleviate your anxiety.

Asymmetrical eyes

It is not at all uncommon to have some asymmetry between the eyes.  You will notice this more than anyone else because you see your face more than anyone else.  I would not recommend any surgical treatment for the asymmetry of your eyes, as the difference is fairly minor and surgery is not without risk, including the possibility of your eyes becoming more asymmetric.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetric Eyes

Facial asymmetry is universal, and can be very small to somewhat obvious. This is due to uneven growth of left and right side of the face. If you look carefully, you see virtually everyone has some facial asymmetry to some degree. Surgical correction can be more of trying to camouflage this asymmetry with fillers or craniosurgical procedure for extreme deformity.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO