What size and shape implants? (Photos)

I am 5'5 , 120 pounds and wonder what size implants I should get to get to my wish pic

What size implant to get

Your ideal implant size is determined by your buttocks cheek width which is independent of your height and weight; in order to determine this size you would need an examination and measurement of your buttocks cheek. I like to leave 2cm medially in order avoid implant extrusion, and avoid the lateral cheek dimple where the implant edge would be palpable; please see examples below.

Buttock implant sizing

Regarding buttock augmentation, let me start off by saying that I currently see at least 2 - 3 patients per week, from around the world, that failed "brazilian buttock lift" (i.e. the fat melted away after 10 - 12 months) and are now seeking a more reliable and permanent option (i.e. buttock implants).  One of the most important factors in creating the perfect derriere with implants is indeed selecting the right size AND shape. I have found the best way to assure this is to simply measure the actual dimensions of the patient’s buttock cheeks. With these anatomical measurements, I can select an implant that not only significantly augments the buttock but also supplies the correct 3-dimensional enhancement to look as real as possible...even in the most petite patients. Traditionally, teardrop oval implants have a 30+% risk of rotation and thus unnaturally change the buttock shape/appearance when doing so.  However i have recently created and patented a new "Stanton Anatomic" shaped implant that avoids this issue. The benefit of this is the fact that ~80% of women patients have more of an oval shaped buttock cheek than round, thus creating a much more natural and harmonious buttock contour. Thus, the only way for you to know what implant works best is to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon specializing in this procedure and have him/her take your measurements before selecting an implant and proceeding with surgery. 
The largest stock buttock implant currently available in the USA is a 690cc round implant. For the implant brand i prefer and my Stanton Anatomic Oval implants, the largest is 600cc. Indeed custom implants can be ordered larger, not only at a premium price but at a premium risk for most patients'. Unlike breast implants which are placed under the very expandable tissue of the breast and half of the pectoral major muscle, buttock implants should only be placed under or at least within the largest strongest muscle of the body, the gluteus maximus muscle, which is not nearly as expandable or forgiving. Thus most patients simply do not have a large enough native buttock muscle to fit an implant much over 500 ccs', without leading to significant complication such as wound breakdown/opening &/or implant exposure...necessitating removal. If a patient wants larger implants, 9-12 months after the initial implants have settled in to place and the muscle relaxed/stretched, then a second operation can be performed to replace them (similar to the process of going bigger with breast implants).    Be aware, the "subfascial" space that is sometimes talked about is not a real potential space to place a buttock implant. It is essentially the same as a subcutaneous pocket (ie on top of the muscle/under the skin and fat layer only) and therefore should be avoided at all costs. Some of those sought after video-vixen and celeb-types (without mentioning names) with cartoonish bottoms could have either gotten extremely lucky with a huge oversized implant (very unlikely if properly placed under the muscle), had a very large volume of filler injected such as silicone, PMMA, Sculptra, or hydrogel - all NOT recommended because of high risk of severe infections, migration and/or hardening over time,  and even deadly consequences in rare but significant instances (if mistakenly injected into the blood stream); and/or have been genetically "blessed" - although quite unlikely.
I generally do not recommend fat grafting at the same time as placing buttock implants because of a significantly increased risk of infection. For fat to survive it must be grafted into muscle, however that is also where the implant sits. Thus, if fat it injected into the implant or implant pocket then it will die and almost assuredly get infected - necessitating removal of the implant as well. Fat transfer later on must be done very carefully and cautiously, preferably by the original surgeon, for the very same reasons as above. In both instances, the risk/reward ratio is very high (meaning high risk to very low potential reward) because over 80% of the fat is likely to melt away yielding very small gains in augmentation. 
Nonetheless, buttock implants are a proven safe and effective method of buttock augmentation as long as the recommendations of a board certified plastic surgeon specialist are adhered to.
Glad to help.

Ryan Stanton, MD

Butt implants

Dear Texan,    Thanks for submitting your pictures and your goal pictures. From observing your pictures and based on your height , you are a candidate for oval round implants. The size of the implants will depend  on your comfort level with the attention that you will get from the size of your enlarged  butt. 565 cc or 660 cc will look very attractive on you, however, you have to find a surgeon who uses the sub fascial technique, in order to accommodate these large implants and give you nice 'S' curve(shelf), nice hips curve  and nice projection.    Always, consult with experienced board certified plastic surgeons who operate in accredited surgery center for your safety. Most importantly, check the before and after pictures in the photo gallery, to make sure that the are numerous, consistent and attractive with natural look. Also, check the reviews on 'RealSelf' for ratings and positive experience reports.                            Best of luck,                                                   Dr Widder

Buttock augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you are a great candidate for a buttock augmentation.  I prefer to use fat grafting instead of implants for buttock augmentation.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Buttock implants

In order to properly size you for buttock implants, you would have to be seen in person to be properly evalauted. Best of luck.

Buttock Implants

Buttock Implants size is chosen based on buttock measurements and your desired look.The hip dip needs to be addressed as well.

Buttock implants

Hello.  You look like a great candidate for but implants. Unfortunately it is difficult to assess the size of implant that you would need. From the goal photos that you have shown it appears that you would do well with a medium sized buttock implant with liposuction of your hips and lower back. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon for your care. 

#liposuction #plasticsurgery #BBL

Hi LilBootyJudy55, Thank you  for your awesome question! Your pics are very helpful, however without the benefit of knowing your full health history and an in person exam it's impossible to say for certain.  I perform many BBL plastic surgeries on patients from all over the country.  I would recommend you have an in person consultation with a plastic surgeon with these credentials: *Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery -- The gold star symbol
*A member of the ASPS (American Society of Plastic Surgeons) -- The circle symbol
*A member of the ASAPS (American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons) -- the Queen Nefertitti symbol with a Triangle    *On faculty at local plastic surgery teaching program -- in our office we are affiliated with both Duke and UNC schools of plastic surgery.     Feel free to contact our office, it would be our pleasure to answer your questions in person. I hope this is helpful and wish you all the best in your journey.  My sincere best, Brian S. Coan, MD, FACS  CARE Plastic Surgery

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Physical Evaluation with a Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for sharing the photos. 

Deciding the volume for implants based on your heigh and weight is not only one of the facts to take into consideration. 

To decide a volume of an implant, any kind of implant, the doctor has to personally evaluate the patient, because you cannot place an implant that your muscle won't tolerate. 

I invite you to go into consultation with a certified plastic surgeon to decide whats the best option for you. 

Rafael Lluberes Freites, MD