My PS said 250cc of fat transfer to each butt cheek. Is that noticeable results? How about implants for males?

How much or big is 250cc? I'm male, 45 y.o..5'11", 170 lbs and i went in to get a consultation for an abdominal Lipo esculpture with fat transfer. My ps estimated just 250cc on eeach cheek. I don't know if I need an implant if I want to get ththe esults I want. Are there implants of different shapes and forms, for male and female? Could I play sports actively with them on? hows the hows the post op time?

Butt implants for man

Dear Walt,    Before discussing butt implants, let me tell you that fat injection to the butt (BBL) is a total waste of your time and your money, because the fat disappears completely or almost completely after few months or even sooner. I have seen it on many patients who came to my surgery center for butt implants surgery after their big disappointment from the fat injection procedure. Fat injection sounds like a great idea , but it does not work ! Think about it this way, if fat injection would have been consistent and reliable , most women would have preferred it for breasts augmentation over implants. The reality is that the number one cosmetic surgery in the US is breasts augmentation with implants...    Your best option for butt augmentation is butt implants. It is the same procedure and implants for men or for women. The only difference is that on men , the implants are placed closer to the inter gluteal fold, so the hips are not too feminine (unless the men desire feminine hips). When butt implants are done correctly by an expert surgeon they are attractive and natural looking.    You have to realize , though, that not all results are the same because there are different techniques and different implants. Additionally, experience, skills and aesthetic eye are critical for good outcome. So, do your due diligence and choose your surgeon wisely.   Always, consult with experienced board certified plastic surgeons who do lots of butt implants surgery (preferably sub fascia and oval round ultra soft silicone implants)  in accredited surgery center for your safety. Most importantly, check the before and after pictures in the photo gallery , to make sure that they are numerous, consistent and attractive. Also, check the reviews on 'RealSelf'  for ratings and positive experience reports. 

Buttock implants

The issue with fat transfer is that 40%-60% of the fat dissolves 6 months after the procedure.

So 250ccs probably wont be enough in the long run.  This is a common issue.  I see at least 3 patients a week that are unhappy with their long term fat transfer results.  The best solution is usually a buttock implant.  Its a better long term investment.

Buttocks fat transfer

Buttocks fat transfer volumes average around 500cc per check; 250cc is going to be on the small side and may be not noticeable. I would encourage you to consider a butt implant in addition to the fat transfer which can be done at the same time.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

BBL

250 cc's will look different in different patients. It is hard to say how it will appear in you without an exam in person.

250ccs of fat enough for buttock augmentation?

Welll considering that ~80+% of the fat will melt away within the first 12-16 months, you will be left with only 50ccs in each buttock cheeck. On the other hand, the smallest buttock implant i place on even the most petite female patients is 300ccs. So with simple math, you can see 250ccs of fat will likely be grossly insufficient. Please read on for more general details on buttock augmentation:
Regarding buttock/hip augmentation surgery, let me start off by saying that I currently see at least 2 - 3 patients, domestic and international,  per week that failed "brazilian buttock lift" (i.e. the fat melted away after 10 - 12+ months) and are now seeking a more reliable and permanent option (i.e. buttock and/or hip implants). 
Allow me to share with you some information that you may not hear elsewhere. There are only two proven safe and relatively effective methods for Buttock Augmentation and Hip Augmentation: 1) Autologous Fat Transfer (using your own fat, transferring from one area of the body to the other) and 2) Buttock/Hip Implants (semi-solid silicone rubber implants that cannot rupture &/or leak). Both are options but what it comes down to, like any surgery, is proper patient selection and long-term results. 
Indeed because at least 80+ % of the fat transferred will melt away within a year, most patients are not good candidates because they lack an adequate amount of fat to harvest. Another tip is that if you purposely gain weight (i.e. fat) for the procedure, the fat you lose first as you get back to your baseline weight is that very same fat that was transferred into your buttock...so don't fall victim to this recommendation. Even those patients that had adequate amounts of fat pre-operatively, still end up seeking buttock implants after a year or so because most of the fat transferred melted away leaving them with minimal result.  Although overall using your own fat is relatively safe, it not infrequently melts away unevenly leaving one butt cheek bigger than the other or with dimpling or hard fat cysts.  The one serious complication that can rarely (< 1%) happen is "fat embolism" in which some of the fat gets into the blood stream and travels up into the lungs, heart, and/or brain causing serious problems. This complication is more likely to happen with the larger amount of fat being transferred. This is even more likely to happen when using fillers like liquid silicone, PMMA, Sculptra, and hyaluronic acids. Also fillers, when injected in large quantities, have a relatively high infection rate, guaranteed tendency to migrate away from the original area they were injected, and almost always stimulate a lot of inflammation with a subsequent and disastrous amount of scar tissue/hardening.
Thus buttock/hip implants become a very good, safe, and long term reliable option for most patients seeking buttock/hip augmentation (at least in my practice). I prefer to insert the buttock implants through a 1 1/2 inch long incision along the inner curve of each upper buttock cheek at the level of the tailbone, similar to two opposing parentheses ")(" (concealed within the crevice between the buttock cheeks) and the hip implants through a ~ 1 inch incision just below the beltline above the hip region. The buttock implant should always be placed under or within the gluteus maximus muscle. In this position, the implant is less palpable, less visible, and does not sag or shift/migrate over time unlike implants placed on top of the muscle. On the other hand, hip implants are placed under just the fascia because no significant muscle exists in this region. However, because they are much smaller and lighter, their likelihood of migration is relatively low. Because all of this, it is extremely important to seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in this procedure so that the implant placement is precise for both locations. And in this case too, at least in my surgical practice, the infection rate is minimized to

Ryan Stanton, MD