Medihoney for tummy tuck incision ?

I have a friend who is a nurse who specializes in wound care and she swears by this stuff. Anyone use this right after tummy tuck for healing of incision, not for scar treatment)

Medihoney for tummy tuck?

In addition to my private plastic surgery practice, I also assist with wound care in a local hospital.  While medihoney is a great product to help keep a wound moist and provide a good healing environment, I would not recommend application of the product to a closed incision.  You would be better off using a silicone gel or silicone sheeting, but remember to always run anything by your plastic surgeon first.  You need to be adequately healed prior to application of any product.  Best of luck!

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck - Scar Care?

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your recent surgery. I instruct all of my patients to perform daily scar massage and apply a silicone based scar ointment or tape to their incisions for three months. Please ask your board certified plastic surgeon for specific instructions regarding his or her scar management protocol. Hope this helps!

Medihoney?

Not enough experience with this to help, but my general approach to scars and incisions is that you should try things.  What works for one patient may NOT work for another.  There is no harm to trying Medihoney..if it works that is great..if it does not..then you will know.  Good luck with your surgery. 

Bhupesh Vasisht, MD
Voorhees Plastic Surgeon

#abdominoplasty #plasticsurgery #Tummytuck

Hello NCMommyof3, Congratulations on your recent surgery and thank you for sharing your question about your post operative recovery and results after your surgery.  Final results can take up to 12 months for all the swelling to subside.  At our office here at CARE we actually see all of our surgery patients the very next day after surgery and then again at two weeks and beyond. We enjoy staying closely connected to our patients and enjoy giving the extra attention and service.  Your concerns are important to discuss directly with your board certified plastic surgeon.  He or she will appreciate the open communication and will want to help you. I hope this is helpful and wish you all the very best.  Sincerely, Brian S. Coan, MD, FACS
CARE Plastic Surgery

Medihoney is great for wounds

I have used it in wound care applications and it works great by killing bacteria (including MRSA) and promotes healing.  That being said, for healing scars, the only "proven" technologies involve silicone and/or pressure.  Something as simple as paper tape works and if you want something even potentially better silicone sheeting is good as well.  Sadly, scar formation after surgery has a lot to do with genetics.  Some people scar well and others less so.  Time will tell.  Good luck.

Medihoney

I think Medihoney can be a great dressing for open wounds in the right situation, but would not be indicated for use on an incision that is healing normally.

Samir S. Rao, MD
Chevy Chase Plastic Surgeon

Medihoney / manuka honey

Medihoney may assist in wound healing, however it is generally not used as a first option for scar treatment.  If the incision has opened, your surgeon may recommend medihoney for the open wound, however I have not heard of it helping a closed incision.

Medihoney for tummy tuck incision?

Thank you for your question.  Medical honey is typically used for open wounds.  Yes, it is a real thing, and no, it is not common in terms of being used in the cosmetic Plastic Surgery world.  If all goes well, you will NOT have open wounds from your tummy tuck, just a nice, thin scar that needs no special wound care.

I place Dermabond Prineo on all of my tummy tuck scars (as well as breast reductions, etc).  It is a long-lasting dressing consisting of a mesh tape that is coated with skin glue.  It typically stays in place for up to a month.  My patients love it because it makes them waterproof and they don't have to worry about any type of incisional care until the Prineo comes off.

So, I wouldn't concern yourself with using medical honey.  I do not think it will do anything to make your incision heal better, and it is potentially pretty messy.  I would speak to your surgeon and see what he/she recommends in terms of scar care, such as silicone ointments or silicone sheeting and massage.  Best of luck!

Scar treatment after Tummy tuck

Thank you for your question.  I don't have any experience with this particular product.  Usually a combination tape/silicone therapy such as New gel seems to work the best.