Should I be sweating 3 days after MiraDry? Also, I experienced intense burning pain after the procedure.

I'm an 18 year old female and a healthy college athlete, but have had hyperhidrosis since I was 12. I sweat excessively both during exercise and just sitting in class. I had MiraDry done last week and the procedure didn't hurt, but once the numbness wore off I was in severe pain which felt like burning. This lasted about 8 hours and over-the-counter painkillers didn't help. 3 days after the procedure I was sweating again. I was told to expect no sweating for at least a few weeks. Am I hopeless?

MiraDry

The discomfort after the numbing wears off is normal.  Icing the area for the first 24-48 hours is very helpful.  As for your sweating 3 days later... this can be a variation of normal.  Remember, miraDry is expected to reduce approximately 80% of sweat in the armpit after 1 to 2 treatments.  You will not be completely "dry" from this procedure.  Please wait 3 months before getting your second treatment.  I think you will be very pleased with the results.  Good luck.

Sweating Post miraDry Treatment

The MiraDry treatment provides an 82% reduction in sweat glands, not 100% - meaning some sweating could occur after your treatment. Most patients are extremely satisfied with this level of improvement. I recommend waiting a full three months after your initial treatment to monitor your level of perspiration. If your sweating is bothersome, I may recommend a second treatment to achieve additional sweat reduction. 

While the level of discomfort you may experience after miraDry seems unusual, it is not uncommon for patients to experience soreness, swelling, bruising, and sensitivity after their treatment. However, every patient’s interpretation of pain is slightly different. I have found the miraDry side effects in my patients are transient and aided by frequently icing the treated area. Additionally, I may recommend taking anti-inflammatory medication, such as Advil or Aleve, to reduce inflammation and soreness.

Louis P. Bucky, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Pain after miraDry

Most of our Newport Beach miraDry® patients experience minimal downtime and return to their regular activities immediate following their treatment. You may experience some swelling, minor bruising and tenderness of the underarms, which should subside within a couple of weeks. We recommend avoiding strenuous activity requiring your arms until your symptoms have resolved. Some patients have altered sensation underarms for about 2-4 weeks.

I would make an appointment with your miraDry professional for evaluation. #miraDry   #pain  #sweatingposttx

Be well.

Healing after miraDry

Healing after miraDry
Most of our Newport Beach miraDry® patients experience minimal downtime and return to their regular activities immediate following their treatment. You may experience some swelling, minor bruising and tenderness of the underarms, which should subside within a couple of weeks. We recommend avoiding strenuous activity requiring your arms until your symptoms have resolved. Some patients have short-term altered sensation of the underarm skin or upper arms. This will gradually disappear
My healing continues week after week with improved for two months 

MiraDry and sweating

Thank you for your question for sharing your experiences with us.  miraDry is an excellent procedure to reduce sweating of the armpits.  The efficacy does depend on technique, however in experienced hands, you can get outstanding results.  It is hard to know what treatment since you had from your description. However, my experience, more aggressive treatments provide more effective results. I would give it a week or two for your swelling and symptoms to go down and then reassess and returns your provider if you have concerns.

Miradry works for armpit sweating

Miradry is an excellent procedure and results are seen either immediately in some patients or a few weeks in others. Overally, you will be very pleased with the results. 

Dr. Karamanoukian 
Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Sweating after miraDry

The burning pain is normal after miraDry.  I had the procedure done myself and icing for the first 24 hours really helped keep that at a minimum.  

You don't know the final results of miraDry for 3 months.  But make sure you were treated with the tumescent method and the Level 5 setting the entire time for best results.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Burning and sweating after miraDry

The burning you felt may have been the anesthesia wearing off and the nerves regaining sensation.  If this happens, it usually is temporary (as it was in your case).  In the weeks following miraDry there can be some persistent sweating.  The true test is to wait until the swelling and inflammation has resolved and you are going about a normal day.  At that point I try to get patients to quantify the amount of sweating compared to what they experienced before miraDry.  Usually they can tell that there is a significant difference compared to before, although they may not have complete correction.  We have had hyperhydrosis patients correct 100% on both sides, and we have had patients that correct less than that.  A second treatment could be performed 3 months after the first and that may improve the result.

Cynthia Diehl, MD
Durham Plastic Surgeon

MiraDry procedure - experience counts ! Williamsville, NY

We have done the miraDry procedure since 2011 and we are a Platinum Provider.

In our experience, > 86% of patients require no more than 1 miraDry procedure. This is because we have a very thorough technique and we have adjusted our technique over the course of hundreds of procedures to improve outcomes. 

Read our miraDry book on the link below.