Who should I consult for gynecomastia?

I'm 18 and have had gynecomastia for 4 years. It is my understanding that gynecomastia will come back even after surgery if I still have a hormonal imbalance. Whom should I check with to find the root cause of gynecomastia? Would the plastic surgeon be able to tell?

Doctor Answers 8

Types of Gynecomastia Possible at Age 18

Categorized as #physiologicol gynecomastia, up to 2/3 of boys going through puberty develop some form of gynecomastia. This form of gynecomastia is due to the surges in testosterone and estrogen which often lead to an imbalance of the testosterone:estrogen ratio. Puberty is a difficult time for most boys, with many changes occurring not just physically but also emotionally. Developing gynecomastia during this age can affect the self-image and confidence of a teenager. The peak incidence occurs around 14 years of age.

In up to 75% of boys who develop pubertal gynecomastia, it will disappear without treatment within 2 years. In 90% of boys with pubertal gynecomastia, it will disappear without treatment within 3 years. So deciding who needs surgery is very important in this age group because a majority of these boys will not need any intervention.

#Normal Gynecomastia is usually apparent in males between the ages of 12 to 15 years old. It is also common for older men 65 years old or more who experience a drop in their testosterone levels. #Normal Gynecomastia takes approximately one to two years to naturally regress on its own.

Meanwhile, #Adolescent Gynecomastia is hereditary and usually appears in 30% to 60% of boys between the ages of nine to fourteen. Many cases of adolescent gynecomastia resolve on its own as the boy grows into adulthood. Some with #Adolescent may choose to undergo surgery to correct the situation, this usually happens at the age of 18 or above. In severe cases in young boys, the physician and child development specialists will need to speak to the parents regarding the severity of the gynecomastia and if surgery is an option before the age of 18.

It is imperative you select a plastic surgeon who is #board-certified and has a great deal of experience with male breast #reduction. Plastic surgeons who have specialized in breast surgery and cosmetic surgery are suitable to perform your procedure. Aside from checking board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Please be advised that each patient is unique and previous results are not a guarantee for individual outcomes. As with all cosmetic surgery, results will be rewarding if expectations are realistic. With any surgical procedure, there are some risks which your doctor will discuss with you during your consultation.

Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 110 reviews

Who should I consult for gynecomastia?

Hi there
How did you " understand" that you have a hormonal imbalance .
you need meet a plastic surgeon who can solve your gynaecomastia problem. if that doctor thinks that you might have a hormonal problem then you will be referred to the appropriate specialist.
Remember gynaecomastia is a simple problem with a permanent solution.
best of luck

Karthik Ram, MRCS, DNB
India Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 54 reviews

Who should I consult for gynecomastia?

The specialist you'd need to see for a hormone imbalance would be an endocrinologist, but it's often best to start with your family physician. Hope that helps!  

Mathew A. Plant, MD, FRCSC
Toronto Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 31 reviews

Gynecomastia and Hormone Imbalance

Great question!  You'll want to have your primary care physician refer you to an endocrinologist to evaluate for any hormonal imbalances.  After cleared by an endocrinologist, you'll want to see a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in male plastic surgery to be evaluated for a gynecomastia procedure.  Best of luck to you!

Thomas McFadden, MD
Greenville Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 64 reviews

Who should I consult for gynecomastia?

Hi dedrean,
Thanks for the post. If there is an underlying hormone imbalance, I recommend you be evaluated by an endocrinologist prior to undergoing surgery.

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 46 reviews


Thank you for your question and see an endocrinologist for work up of any hormone imbalances then a board certified plastic surgeon for your surgery.  Surgery should remove the gland so there should be no recurrences 

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 62 reviews


I would recommend you consult an individual who has extensive experience in the treatment and management of gynecomastia.Unfortunately you will need to do some research because there are a large  number of physicians who claim they have experience in the treatment of gynecomastia when in reality they have minimal experience and more importantly minimal  knowledge in the area..

Jay M. Pensler, MD
Chicago Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 14 reviews


Thank you for your question.  There are multiple causes of gynecomastia including but not limited to hormonal imbalances, certain medications, certain metabolic conditions, as well as genetic and idiopathic causes.  Determining the root cause of your gynecomastia will help with formulating a treatment plan that is right for you.  If you know that you have an endocrine or metabolic problem causing the gynecomastia; this should be addressed prior to any surgery.  Your primary care physician or a plastic surgeon, who deals with gynecomastia can order simple blood tests to determine whether or not there are metabolic or endocrine problems causing your gynecomastia.  Once any medical causes of gynecomastia have been addressed surgery can be performed successfully with minimal chance of recurrence.

There are simple blood tests that can be performed

James Shoukas, MD
Lake Mary Plastic Surgeon
4.3 out of 5 stars 7 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.