Gynecomastia. Is there anything else that can be done without liposuction? (Photo)

My husband is getting lipo done for his chest. I don't think it's necessary because I really don't see anything wrong. Is there anything else that can be done without liposuction? Do you think it's bad enough for liposuction? He only got an opinion from 1 surgeon.

Gynecomastia Surgical Techniques

There are three types of surgical treatment options available that treat gynecomastia. The doctor will recommend the one that is best suited to each individual case. 

The excision technique is used on cases of #gynecomastia where excess skin and glandular breast tissue must be removed and the areola or nipple needs reduction and repositioning to create a natural looking appearance. The incision patterns are determined by the specific condition of the patient. The doctor will recommend this procedure which combines the liposuction technique and excision technique to create a natural look. Patients are given specific instructions for the recovery period. 

Men who suffer from large #areolas may notice that after breast surgery, the skin of the chest muscles will tighten, causing the areolas to tighten and diminish in size. This is a result of the removal of glandular and/or adipose tissue.

Your options

I know of no FDA approved non surgical/non invasive treatment for gynecomastia. If you are seeking non surgical options for mild gynecomastia, I think that Vanquish which uses RF energy, or UltraShape that uses ultrasound rather than Cool Sculpt would be the best option though all are off FDA usage. Surgery is the best option for the vast majority of patients with gynecomastia.

Gynecomastia treatments vary

It is difficult to tell for sure without doing an exam...because the fatty tissue can be treated with liposuction, but often if there is glandular tissue, it must be excised through a small incision around the edge of the areola.

It might be worth getting another opinion!
Good luck.

Anne Taylor, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Lipo vs excision

It's impossible to make an accurate evaluation off one photo.  If he and your doctor  suspect gynecomastia, then the best option is generally excision of gland with liposuction.  I hope that helps.

Tim Neavin, MD

Liposuction and gynecomastia

From the photo given I do see some fullness, typically gynecomastia surgery involves not only liposuction but removal of tissue as well, which also helps in preventing any ptosis (sagging) .

Chad Robbins, MD

Gynecomastia. Is there anything else that can be done without liposuction

Thank you for your question. Pictures suggest some fullness. Usually lipo and excision of glandular tissue give optimal results. He can loose some weight and reevaluate if you both think not ready for surgery.

Husband desires Gynecomastia Surgery but Wife thinks it is unecessary

Thank you for the picture.  There is a bit of fullness to his chest.  I could lose weight to change the contour of his chest non surgically.  May be you and your surgeon should visit with the surgeon for clarity.

Gynecomastia. Is there anything else that can be done without liposuction?

Based on the photograph, your husband's concerns seem understandable. I have found that gynecomastia, is often best treated with partial excision of the prominent glandular tissue as well as liposuction surgery of the peripheral chest area. If the prominence of the chest wall is caused by adipose tissue only, then liposuction surgery alone may suffice.   It is very important to make an accurate diagnosis, in order to tailor the correct operation to achieve the patient's goals.  Doing so will help avoid postoperative disappointment and the need for additional treatment. Best wishes.

If the chest feels mostly fatty, then liposuction is often enough for many cases and it also limits the scars. best of luck.

It is bad enough

There is no non surgical treatment for gynecomastia. Your husband will need excision of glands in addition to liposuction.

Vasdev Rai, MD