Do you need a parents permission to get gynecomastia surgery in California?

Do you need a perants promision to get gynecomastia surgery in California city of Orange County I'm ashamed and shy to even bring the conversation about male tits gynecomastia is a life changing event

Doctor Answers 11

Parents Permission if Under Age 18 for Gynecomastia Surgery

Several common factors can cause gynecomastia including excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions.
Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia. Particularly, Normal Gynecomastia is usually apparent in males between the ages of 12 to 15 years old. It is also common for older men 65 years old or more who experience a drop in their testosterone levels. #Normal Gynecomastia takes approximately one to two years to naturally regress on its own.

Adolescent Gynecomastia is hereditary and usually appears in 30% to 60% of boys between the ages of nine to fourteen. Many cases of adolescent gynecomastia resolve on its own as the boy grows into adulthood.
Some with #Adolescent may choose to undergo surgery to correct the situation, this usually happens at the age of 18 or above. In severe cases in young boys, the physician and child development specialists will need to speak to the parents regarding the severity of the gynecomastia and if surgery is an option before the age of 18.

Orange County Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 109 reviews

Surgery under 18 yo

Yes, In any state, you do need parents approval for any surgery or procedure.  You will have breast changes by the time you are 18 yo, so waiting until at least 18 is recommended.

Chad Robbins, MD
Nashville Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 49 reviews

If I am under 18, do I need my parents permission for cosmetic surgery?

Yes, if you are under 18 years of age you need your parents permission for any type of non or surgical treatment including gynecomastia. 

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon
4.4 out of 5 stars 27 reviews

Gynecomastia in Teens

Thanks for the post. If you are under the age of 18 then you will need parental consent to undergo surgery. Although you may feel embarrassed you should know that gynecomastia is very common in teens. For the majority of males who develop gynecomastia in their teen years, it gets better on its own after 2 to 3 years. If you have had it for over 3 years then you may qualify for surgery. I recommend having a discussion with your parents. You maybe surprised by how understanding they would be.

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 44 reviews

Do you need a parents permission to get gynecomastia surgery in California?

Thank you for your question.
If you are under the age of 18, you will need parental consent to proceed with surgery.
Males of all ages ( after puberty) can present with gynecomastia. If symptomatic and/or aesthetically displeasing, surgical correction of gynecomastia can be worthwhile. Treatment is individualized depending on the specific patient's situation; involves direct excision of glandular tissue, liposuction surgery, and/or occasionally excision of excess skin as well.
Have open conversation with your parents and allow them to help find a surgeon with experience for your surgery.
Best wishes.

Tom J. Pousti, MD, FACS
San Diego Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 1,487 reviews


Talk to your parents. Many men have gynecomastia as teens. It does go away in a large number of men. So it is possible that you wouldn't need surgery. There are things that make it worse. Try to keep your weight at an appropriate level. Don't smoke weed.

Tracy E. McCall, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 1 review

Consent at 18

Thank you for your question.  Age of consent for such a procedure is 18 with the exception of very unusual circumstances that probably don't pertain to you.   If this is something that really bothers you, you may feel better talking to your parents about it.  When you are ready make sure you see a board-certified plastic surgeon who does a lot of this type of work .  

Tim Neavin, MD
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 42 reviews


I appreciate your question.
If you are under 18 you will need a parents consent.
This is a big decision and should be discussed with your parents and primary care doctor.
They are there to help you

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

Jaime S. Schwartz, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 91 reviews

Gynecomastia surgery

Hello and thank you for your question.

It can be hard as a young adult to talk to parents about your body, especially if you are embarrassed.  Your parents undoubtedly love you and want the best for you.  I encourage you to be brave, and sit down and talk with them about your concerns and wishes.  I'm sure your parents will support you and be a valuable advocate for you as you go through this process.

Write a letter to your parents, if you can't bare to sit down with them face to face.  Tell them your struggle with gynecomastia and let them know you believe surgery can help you be more confident, happier, and healthier. 

Insurance can cover this procedure if you qualify.  Do your research and know the facts about the procedure you want- so your parents see how serious you are able moving forward.

Best of luck young man.

Dr. Obeng

Michael K. Obeng, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 49 reviews


Thank you for your question and if you are underage you would need parental permission but if recommended by your family doctor or pediatrician, your parents will undoubtedly approve

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 61 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.