Crater in my nipple. Any help? (Photo)

So the day i went to have the stitches removed i noticed that the tape on my left nipples irritated & had a layer of greenish/yellow pus on it. So the nurse told me to put double antibiotic gel on each nipple daily & cover it up with a band aide. Nothing changed in two weeks but the nurse says keep doing what I'm doing. Today i take it off & the pus layer comes off but now there is a crater in my nipple. Kinda freaked it will heal like that and i will have a chunk missing. Any help?

Indentation Concern Following Gynocomastia Surgery

It's still soon in your recovery from gynecomastia surgery. As you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. 

In the future, if you are still experiencing your crater concern, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.  They may possibly be able to address the issue with fat grafting or cosmetic fillers if you are a good fit.

Scar/wound healing

I recommend that you follow up with your Plastic Surgeon to ensure any infection has cleared. As your scars mature throughout the first year the appearance of irregularities like this should minimize quite a lot. Talk with your Plastic Surgeon about scar treatment options.

All the best

Incision

Thank you for the photo.  You are encountering a small dehiscence.  This is not uncommon.  There are many factors into play when it comes to healing after surgery.  You should be certain to follow up with your surgeon.  This will heal.  The scar can be revised down the road. 

Tim Neavin, MD

Skin loss

First, rest assured that with proper wound care, this area will heal with the sequela of some pigment loss that can be tattooed after healing, to restore the pigment.  However, the other issue is the thinning of the skin that led to skin loss.  This might lead to indentation of the areole/nipple complex.  If this occur, volume can be added to flatten this area, with fat grafting.

Semira Bayati, MD, FACS

Healing issues after surgery

Having an open wound following surgery is not uncommon.  From your pictures and description, your plastic surgeon is recommending wound care which is what I would have recommended as well.  It make take a few more weeks for this to improve and completely heal.  I would recommend continuing with wound care as instructed by your surgeon and frequent follow up to give you peace of mind that you are healing.  Good luck.

Denis L. Gonyon, Jr., MD
Fort Collins Plastic Surgeon

Crater in my nipple

Thank you for your question. Small wound like in your nipple will usually heal with local wound care. Please follow the instructions from your PS

Wound opening

Thank you for your question and you may have had a small amount of skin necrosis following your gynecomastia surgery which will heal with time but may have compromised your nipple but an examination is really needed to be sure

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Crater of the areola after gynecomastia surgery

Thank you for your picture.  The wound on your areola should heal fine with local wound care.  It you have an indentation of your areola it may be due to excessive removal of tissue beneath it.  Re-evaluate in 3 months and if this is still present then fat grafting may be useful.

Healing After Gynecomastia Surgery

Hi EXP626,
Thanks for the post and photo.  It appears you have a small opening along the incision based on the photo. This should heal but may take a few weeks. The final incision should look fine but if not a scar revision can always be performed in the office under local anesthetic in the future. I recommend that you keep in close communication with your surgeon.

Sincerely,
Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Gynecomastia

I appreciate your question.
It appears you have delayed wound healing. Keep the area clean and follow up with your doctor.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz