How long until a long drive after Breast augmentation?

Hi there I live a 5 hours drive away from where I am getting my breasts done. How long after surgery should I wait before the big drive home? Thank you

Hello there I suggest you spend the first night in a hotel near the operating theatre .And then drive home the next day .You'll feel much more comfortable that way .
I assume someone else will be doing the actual driving ??

Gold Coast Plastic Surgeon

Driving long-distance right after breast augmentation

It's always best to check with your surgeon about his or her protocol. I have had patients go home the same day as surgery with as much as a five-hour drive. It's important to buckle up; the seat belt won't harm your implants. For comfort, some patients have placed a small square or rectangular pillow between their chest and the upper-body seat belt. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths." Good luck.

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Driving after breast augmentation

The rate limiting step regarding driving is when you are no longer taking narcotic pain medications. In my practice I find that this is usually after 5- 7days after the procedure. It is best to ask your surgeon. It is best to be seen by your surgeon the next day to ensure there are no bleeding issues or concerns before your long drive home.
Best wishes,Dr. Ravi Somayazula

Ravi Somayazula, DO
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Driving after Breast Augmentation

Riding in a car after breast augmentation  should cause you few problems.   I would recommend  that you stay in town for at least 24 hours after your procedure  to watch for unusual swelling which could mean a hematoma. Of course, you should not drive or operate machinery while taking pain medications.   It would be best if you have someone drive you home.  Even as a passenger, be sure to move your legs around and get out and walk frequently.   This will reduce the risk of blood clots in your legs. 

F. True Lansden, MD
Key West Plastic Surgeon

You should avoid driving after anesthesia for least 48 to 72 hours, and avoid driving while taking pain medication or muscle relaxers or any medication like Phenergan. If your implants are being placed under the muscle, you might need to avoid driving for up to a week.  If your drive involves a lot of heavy traffic, it might be best to wait a week, or find someone else to drive.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Post Op Follow-Up

I would definitely consult with your surgeon to make sure there are no complications or issues. It also depends on suture removal - whether your surgeon uses absorbable or permanent sutures that have to be removed. Your waiting time will also depend on how soon your surgeon wants to see you post-operatively. I prefer to see my patients the next day, one week after the surgery, three weeks and then at two to three months after surgery. Of course, immediately if there are any problems.

Dell Smith, MD
Twin Falls Plastic Surgeon

Driving after Breast Augmentation

We reccomend our patients not drive for 2 weeks post surgery. Especially driving a long distance. It would be good if you had a friend or family member with you that could drive you home.