How tight should my sports bra be? (photos)

Hi! I am on day 5 post-op. I am not sure if my sports bra is to tight? Will it help bring my boobs closer together?Will it do any damage? I sleep in the surgical bra at nite, so that they can breath & not be forced together, but both bras are tight. My ribs feel bruised & they leave marks! Any suggestions on how tight a bra is supposed to be would greatly be appreciated. Also, is it ok to lay completely flat on my back when I sleep?

How tight should my (sports) bra be after my augmentation?

During your surgery, your plastic surgeon creates a space (pocket) to put the implant in under your breast.  It is your anatomy and the surgical technique of your surgeon that determines where your implants will be and not your bra (tight or loose).  Your bra should be comfortable and not tight.  Unless your plastic surgeon objects, you should be able to sleep on your back.  Good luck

Toledo Plastic Surgeon

Bra for breast augmentation

In  my opinion, the sports bra or surgical bra should not be too tight.  Best to ask your surgeon his preference.

Breast augmentation - is my sports bra ok?

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation recovery.
  • Your bra should at all times be comfortable.
  • Bruised ribs mean the bra is too tight - you can cut it along the band or take it off and wear a larger one.
  • The bra will not alter the surgical result - its purpose is to provide comfortable support while you heal.
  • If you were my patient, I would say sleeping flat is fine - it is hard to sleep sitting up.
  • If your surgeon supplied the bra, let her/him know that it is too tight and that you need to cut the band for comfort and/or need a larger size.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS