Is a 385cc, high profile, silicone implant considered a large implant for my stats? 5'5, 120lbs, 10.5 breast width. (photo)

Looking for what the average woman with my stats usually gets. I am nervous a high profile will be too fake for the look I want, but my doctor says moderate plus is too wide for my frame. I just want to make sure compared to the rest I am not going too large, as I am worried about the healing process, complications, and looking too unnatural. I preferred the look of the 375 sizers so we went up to 385 to achieve that, as it will be placed under the muscle.

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question. The size of implant best for you  is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.   Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness). Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion. Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume. These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak. During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

385 cc implants appropriate for a 10.5 cm width

Thank you for your question and your photographs. Based on your breast width and your photographs, In my opinion, a 385cc high profile silicone implant is perfectly appropriate for you. We use Crisalix virtual reality to help our patients precisely choose the implant style, shape and size. They visualize themselves and their post op results immediately during the consultation.  Best wishes on your upcoming surgery !

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

#Breastimplants #Breastaug

Hello I Know Victoria's Secret, Thanks for your question on which implant size would be best for you.  Since there is no way to say definitively over the internet which size would be optimal for you, take comfort in the fact that the surgeon uses your unique measurements and is able to provide you with a general range.  In many cases the board certified plastic surgeon can best be your guide as they’ve met with you in person and heard your aesthetic goals. You may consider doing 3-D imaging; however with nearly all the breast cases we’ve performed, we’ve found patients enjoy doing a live “try on” session where they actually can “try on” the implant in a non-padded bra in our office.  This does not give an exact measurement of outcome, rather it gives a nice idea of what to expect. For patients who desire a more natural look we like to recommend the shaped implant.  For patients who desire a more full, voluptuous look we recommend a higher profile implant. And remember that all breasts have at least some amount of asymmetry (we like to say they’re like sisters and not twins).  I hope this has been helpful. For your plastic surgery needs be sure to meet with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS) and a member of the ASPS and ASAPS. Feel free to contact our office, it would be our pleasure to answer your questions in person.  My very best, Brian S. Coan, MD, FACS

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Implants

Choosing the right implant for you is determined on exam and is also based upon your goals. The implant volume you mentioned did not sound too large for most people of your size.

Breast augmentation question

This is a question that can only be truly answered by someone who has thoroughly interviewed and examined you. According to Sientra a 375cc high profile silicone gel implant has a base width of 11.7cm. How much wider than your 10.5cm base width is acceptable is going to be up to your surgeon. A high profile implant tends to give a more "augmented" look with a rounded upper half of the breast. The larger the implant you go with the more "fake" you will appear following your surgery. This is especially true of patients with a smaller starting size and tighter skin envelopes. The best thing to do is to discuss your concerns with your surgeon. They are in the best position to help you pick a breast implant that fits your body well and helps you achieve your goals. 

385cc considered large?

Considering your height and the width of yor chest, anf the fact that you need upper pole fullnes,  I think 385ss hipro dounds like a good starting place.  However the key is what size do you want to e.  From you photo,I think those implants  would put you in a small "D" cup, but you might prefer larger.  The final decision is between you and your surgeon, after an examination and consultation

Paul Silverstein, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you are a great candidate for a breast augmentation.  Truly the best advice you can obtain will come from an in-person consultation with a detailed examination to determine the optimal implant type and size.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Is a 385cc, high profile, silicone implant considered a large implant for my stats? 5'5, 120lbs, 10.5 breast width.

Thank you for the question.  Based on your photographs, you are starting at a good place and should have a very nice outcome with breast augmentation surgery. Unfortunately, it is not possible to generalize when it comes to average breast implant sizes/profiles based on a specific patient's "stats".  There are simply too many variables involved.
Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging) as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.
***Given that your surgery is coming up soon, I would suggest that you spend additional time communicating your goals/concerns directly with your plastic surgeon, preferably prior to the date of surgery.
Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:
1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work. 2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of know words such as “natural” or "C or D cup”  or "fake" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice. 3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers. I hope this (and the attached link/video, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.