Chin implant vs sliding genioplasty? (photos)

I have a class 1 bite, and mouth breathe. Currently I have braces and will be having a maxillary impaction in November '16 for my "gummy smile". My orthodontist and oral maxillofacial surgeon tell me depending on how much my top jaw is moved it may affect my mandible to more forward, in a favorable fashion (what you do to the maxilla directly affects the mandible?). If it's not enough he may perform a genioplasty at the time. Should I forgo the genioplasty and opt in for a chin implants instead?

Jaw surgery and genioplasty

You should definitely consider the genioplasty at the same time. The particular growth pattern you have needs it for profile and lower lip support to close the lips together (improves it). There really is no debate, since the surgeon should be aware of its need at this stage. an implant is not the same thing for you

Vancouver Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

The Chin and Facial Harmony

Dear Catfacegirl,

Thank you for your question.  As noted by other providers and herself, you do have a “weak” chin which compromises facial harmony when looking from the side.  Augmentation of the chin region, via implant augmentation or sliding genioplasty, would create a notable aesthetic improvement that you would complement you natural looks. .  I hope this information helps you as you make the right decision for you.

Be healthy and be well,

James M. Ridgway, MD, FACS

James M. Ridgway, MD, FACS
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant versus sliding genioplasty

A chin implant procedure is performed for patient's underlying local  anesthesia as an outpatient surgical procedure which takes approximately 30 minutes.  A sliding genioplasty is performed under general anesthesia, hospital setting with an overnight hospital stay.  For more information, diagrams of the implants and many before and after results of chin implants , please see the link and the video below 

Chin implant vs sliding genioplasty?

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.  I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.

Hope this helps.