Genioplasty or chin implant? I have a small chin and clearly needs to be wider (Photos)

I have a very small odd shaped chin and I been thinking about surgery lately. I know the best option is probably a lower jaw surgery but as long as I'm a singer I don't want to do that (I'm afraid my voice could change or the movement) so I would like to know what would it be the second best option for me. Should I get a chin implant or a genioplasty? I need advice. Thanks!

Genioplasty or chin implant? I have a small chin and clearly needs to be wider

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.  I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.

Hope this helps.

Dear Darias 2904, A chin augmentation is the simplest procedure to help balance your profile and overall facial aesthetics. A genioplasty is a much more involved procedure and is typically performed when there is an occlusion or problem with your bite as well as a weak chin. Otherwise chin augmentation is a good choice with a small incision under the chin, a rapid recovery and you can return to the microphone much sooner. See some examples in the video above and link below. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Chin Augmentation

For your modest chin augmentation needs either a chin implant or sliding genioplasty. As a singer the most rapid recovery would be from a chin implant.

Chin implant candidate for narrow and recessive chin profile

A full set of facial photographs are required due to the fact that the chin, mandible, and the implants are all 3-dimensional structures.  Placement of a chin implant will help with the projection and the width.  Chin implants are manufactured in a large variety of sizes and shapes which is best determined at the time of the consultation and examination.  In our practice, we used Implantech Silastic chin implants over 25 years with an excellent success rate.  The Implants can also be custom carved when  it is required to match patient's unique anatomy.  Chin implants or placed under local anesthesia as an outpatient procedure,   while a genioplasty is performed under general anesthesia by an oral surgeon in a hospital setting with an overnight stay.  For more information, diagrams of the implants and many before and after results, please see the link and the video below

Chin implant vs. genioplasty

Thanks for your question. Both are good choices but in my own opinion, a chin implant is a simpler, less-invasive procedure and gives predictable results. I recommend consulting with a couple of plastic surgeons to get more information and specific advice to your situation.Dr. Nicolas Hynes, MSc, MD, FRCS(C)

Chin implant

If you have a normal bite then a jaw advancement would not be necessary and a chin implant would be a great option. Seek a plastic surgeon with specialty training in facial surgery with great reviews and photos.#hazanimd

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon