Help with baby face; what to do? Will a sliding genioplasty do the trick, or would you suggest something else? (Photo)

I realize that some would kill to look younger, but I have found it quite debilitating, especially professionally. People often mistake me for a high schooler or college intern, when in fact I'm 29. A sliding genioplasty and jawline augmentation has been suggested to me by a local surgeon, but I'm wondering if that will make a difference in looking closer to my age. Will a sliding genioplasty do the trick, or would you suggest something else? Thanks

How to correct a poor neck angle: should I do a sliding genioplasty or platysmaplasty?

As some of the other surgeons have suggested, so long as you have a normal bite there is no need to have a sliding genioplasty (which can be quite invasive). From the one profile view you submitted it appears to me that your main concerns might best be met by addressing your neck angle. Your neck angle is wide rather than sharp, which is a common genetic feature and can occur because of 3 reasons:

1. A lax platysma muscle (the muscle below the chin hangs down, making the neck angle look less sharp)

2. Excess fat in the neck area

3. A recessive chin

My recommendation would be to see a surgeon for a thorough consultation in regards to what we loosely call a “Double Chin Surgery”. This procedure will vary from patient to patient depending on your main concerns and your pre-surgical exam, but often combines a gentle liposuction, platysmaplasty (to surgically tighten the muscle below the chin which is hanging down, to make the angle sharper), and a chin implant to improve the structure and lines of the lower face. You may benefit from one or a combination of these approaches depending on your examination and goals.

I’ve included a video below that outlines a few important details, plus a link to the double chin surgery of our website.

Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Baby face, will a sliding genioplasty do the trick, or would you suggest something else?

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.  I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.

Hope this helps.

Dear miss778, Many patients of course want to look younger but the portions of your face that contribute to what you call a "baby face" can be improved with surgery. If you do not have any problems with occlusion with your teeth then I would personally suggest a chin augmentation versus a sliding genioplasty. A chin augmentation is a simple procedure with a small incision under the chin which will allow you a speedy recovery and back on the hiking paths soon. Pictures of you not smiling and better profile photographs would help to determine a complete surgical plan however from the one photograph on the left you may also be a candidate for sub-mental liposuction and possible buccal fat pad removal. To see an example of chin augmentations see the link below and a video above of a patient with combined procedures. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Help with baby face

Please don't be too critical of a youthful appearance it will go soon enough and then you'll spend the rest of your life wishing you had it back. However, from your photos it appears you would benefit from liposuction of the lower face and neck. It would give more definition to the jawline and reduce the fat in the mid and lower cheek which contributes to the "baby face" look. Please see examples 

Curtis Perry, MD
Downey Facial Plastic Surgeon

How to make a baby face look older?

It is impossible to give you good advice based on your photos and desire. A detailed, in person evaluation and discussion about your goals would help. However, it is possible to temporary improvise result of chin and jaw augmentation (if that is to be considered a way to make you look more mature) by using hyaluronic acid based soft tissue fillers. This will give you a chance to see actual effect of augmentation and, if you do not like, it can easily be reversed. It is possible to reverse the effect of augmentation with injection of enzyme hyaluronidase which will dissolve filler within hours after application.You should seek a consultation with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon with good reputation in facial surgery for detailed clinical evaluation and open discussion. Good luck.

Zoran Potparic, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant versus sliding genioplasty

A sliding genioplasty is performed under general anesthesia as an inpatient procedure in the hospital setting with an overnight hospital stay. It is usually performed when the teeth are significantly out of alignment. Consider placement of a chin implant to help with facial balance and proportions, which brings the mandible forward for cosmetic purposes. Chin implants are placed under local anesthesia as an outpatient procedure which takes approximately 30 minutes, and is completely reversible by removing the implant. Chin implants are manufactured in a large array of shapes and sizes, which is best determined time of the consultation and examination. In our practice, we have used  Implantech Silastic pre-Jowl chin implants for over 25 years  With an excellent success rate. Look for a surgeon who performs chin implants quite often and has a large before-and-after photo gallery. Digital computer imaging would also be helpful time of the consultation to see what can be accomplished with your chin on your facial features. For many examples and more information about chin implants including diagrams of the implants themselves, please see the link and the video below

Help with baby face; what to do? Will a sliding genioplasty do the trick, or would you suggest something else?

If you have a normal bite, there is no need to have a sliding genioplasty. An implant will be a better solution. Seek a plastic surgeon with special training in facial implants who performs hundreds of these procedures, has great reviews and photos, and is an expert in this field.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon