Can rhinoplasty/septolasty overcome soft tissue memory?

I had closed septoplasty/rhinoplasty five weeks ago due to deviated septum. Before surgery I had almost curling of the tip of my nose to one side. One side had indentation; other side had a bump. Now with swelling gone, it is becoming to look like before. My surgeon said this is soft tissue memory and i should massage pushing towards one side.1-Is this common? 2-Can massage help or what can? 4-There are blood vessels appearing around the septum and I feel tingling sometimes. Is this expected?

Swelling , some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire. Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity. In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months. To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you. Kind regards,  Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Soft tissue memory

While soft tissue memory is a true entity, there are some surgical maneuvers than can help minimize the tissues from recoiling back. Massage is unlikely to help.

Postoperative recovery after septorhinoplasty / nose surgery

yes- I think that with careful massage as directed by your surgeon perhaps some of the memory may be alleviated.. would really need to see over time.. best of luck

Recurrent abnormality after septorhinoplasty

Your problem is, unfortunately not uncommon, and approximately 10 % of septoplasties have to be done because of "memory".  The second time the cartilage must be scored or crosshatched to break the memory pattern.  I also over-correct the defect a little, expecting some memory to recur in sever edeviations.
Good luck.  You have a common, but difficult problem.

Paul Silverstein, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon