I was recently punched in the nose and now my nose looks crooked? (Photos)

I was punched in the nose about 8 days ago and now my nose looks crooked and appears to bend to the one side as i think the midline and cartilage are moved as well is there anything i can do to straighten this?

I was recently punched in the nose and now my nose looks crooked?

Greeting

Thank you for your question . I would recommed that you consult a plastic surgeon one on one for an examination.

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Punched nose

You should see an Ear Nose and Throat, or rhinoplasty surgeon to be assessed. It is important to make sure there is not a hematoma or collection of blood next to the septum. Also if you desire to straighten the nose, you have a narrow window of time available.

Brian Maloney, MD, FACS
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for crooked nose

A  Closed rhinoplasty procedure can accomplish straightening the crooked nose with all the incisions placed on the inside of the nose. to straighten the crooked nose required osteotomies placed in the nasal bones to resect them straight.  Most instances also require a cartilaginous spreader graft placed underneath the concave upper lateral cartilage in the midportion of the nose.   For many before and after results of crooked nose repair in our practice, please see the link and the video below

Crooked nose after trauma

It is difficult to say from a photograph alone.  You need a clinical examination (you may have "crunchy" or moving bone) and possibly imaging studies like an xray or cat scan.  In general, a fracture is still mobile within the first 14 days.  You should seek evaluation by a board certified plastic surgeon within that time period because he/she may be able to simply push the bone back in place.  If you wait longer than two weeks, the bone may no longer move easily and will require a more surgical procedure with re-fracturing and then moving the bone.Good luck and I am sorry for your injury.

Julian Gordon, MD

Possible broken nose

In order to know definitively if a fracture is present, you should seek consultation from a plastic surgeon.  Imaging studies as well as clinical evaluation will help to make that determination.  Once that information is obtained, your surgeon can advise you on how to manage the situation.

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD

Sorry to hear about your injury..Without in person exam- X-ray- it's difficult to comment accurately. Best to be seen in person....

Swelling

allow swelling to subside over 4-6 weeks.  If you still see an asymmetry, consult a plastic surgeon 

Nasal trauma

It looks like you might have sustained a nasal fracture. An exam in person and possible films would be required.

Crooked Nose after punch

If you see a surgeon NOW, they may be able to improve it without surgery. The longer you wait, the more healing/scarring occurs and the more likely a surgical procedure will be necessary.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

I agree you nose does look crooked. From the image it appears that the nasal bones and the septum are pushed to the left. If you can be seen within a week, your surgeon can move the structures back to the midline. After that the tissues may be too scarred to move back easily. At that point a procedure under anesthesia is the correct choice. It can be fixed. See a board certified plastic surgeon for an opinion. Good luck. 

Robert Graper, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon