Is it okay to become pregnant within 6 months of having rhinoplasty? (Photos)

I would like to have my 2nd child in the next 7 months. Is there any reason this would be a bad idea after having rhinoplasty just 6months before becoming pregnant? Can I have just 1 nose job or is it like breast augmentation? I have had a broken nose once can this effect my results? When can I fly home (2hr flight) as my surgery will be in another state? The bumps on last photo are what bother me. is the pain unbearable &when will it stop hurting so I can continue looking after my baby alone?

Rhinoplasty and pregnancy

There should be no problem with becoming pregnant 6 months after a rhinoplasty. If you already have another small child at home it will be difficult to look after them alone for a week or so but there is usually not much pain associated with a rhinoplasty. If you are in a lot of pain following a rhinoplasty then there may be a problem so if you have to fly two hours to get the surgery done it is best if you stay close to that place for at least one week post op so any problems can be attended to by your treating surgeon. It sounds like you have a busy life with lots of demands on your time and attention! Remember there is no rush to get surgery on your nose if it is just to alter the shape. To get a good result you need to be sure of what you want, have an expert advise and treat you with your best interests foremost and have sufficient time and social supports to recover without undue stress. 

Hi there Ingrid,I am not sure from your question if you have already had a rhinoplasty.You look to have a beautiful nose from the photos you have provided and I am not sure that it can be improved significantly with surgery.With regards to your question about getting pregnant. It would be perfectly safe to get pregnant 6 months after your rhinoplasty. Rhinoplasty surgery is not unbearably painful and most patients feel comfortable and can return to most activities within 2 weeks of surgery.Cheers

You can do rhinoplasty 6 month before pregnancy

There is absolute no problem for having pregnancy after 6 months  of rhinoplasty. You can fly for 2 hours  after a week of surgery  As you have to take care for a month so bump surgery will not interfere with new baby care Best Of Luck

Milan Doshi, MCh
India Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty recovery

There no reason why you can not go on to become pregnant shortly after your rhinoplasty. It should be unlikely that you'd require any further surgery. As surgeons we aim to do one rhinoplasty and make it the best we can give you in one operation! Occasionally there is a need for small revisions. Even with previous trauma such as nasal bone fractures, this should not effect the longevity of your result or mean that you are necessarily going to require a revision.When you can fly home is something you should discuss with your surgeon, but I would like you to stay in town until your first review 1 week after your surgery. After that I'd be happy for you to fly home.Most people feel up to getting back to most day to day activities somewhere around 7-10 days. So I'd think you'd be ok to look after your baby at around that time. To be honest, most patients comment that they were surprised at the lack of pain after rhinoplasty surgery.All the best with it!

Baby after rhinoplasty

There is no contraindication to pregnancy 6 months after rhinoplasty.  However, you should review this with your OB/GYN and your pediatrician (esp if you are still breast feeding).  Ideally, you would require rhinoplasty only once, although sometimes revision may be indicated.  It seems you still have a lot of questions about your upcoming surgery.  I suggest you discuss these with your surgeon to be sure you are prepared for your upcoming procedure.

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD

Pregnancy & flying after rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question and photographs.  You should be fine if you end up conceiving 6 months after your surgery. It usually takes up to 12-18 months for your nose to fully heal but by this time you would be able to care for your baby without any restrictions. The only thing I would be mindful of is, if you are unhappy with your results or need a minor revision, you will have to wait until after you give birth to get the revision done. In regard to flying, I would wait at least a week before flying home but consult with your surgeon as every surgeon has different post operative protocols. I hope this helps.
Best of luck in your endeavors!

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon