My Breast Implants Are Too Far Apart - Can This Be Easily Fixed?

A month ago I had round 310cc medium extra high profile implants put in. I like the size & shape but unfortunately they are so far apart that I have absolutely no cleavage & a bra cant do much to help this, as the cups dont fit properly around my boobs. Im petite so I understand this may be due to my build, but instead of enhanced cleavage I have a large flat gap in between 2 round boobs. Can my surgeon fix this & how? Would there be additional costs if I'm not happy with the original?

Implant profile has to match breast diameter for good spacing

There are several things that affect spacing between the breasts after augmentation, one of which is where the pectoral muscle attaches, but a very important factor is the diameter of the implants relative to the base diameter of the breasts. If the implant diameter is narrow, as with high profile implants, there will be more space between the breasts unless the breasts are also very narrow in diameter. If that is the case, a change to moderate profile implants may be helpful, but only someone who can see you in person can make a definitive recommendation.

Implants far apart

It is difficult to offer suggestions without an exam or at the minimum photographs.  If you did not have much cleavage to begin with, you may not be able to have much after surgery.  Sometimes a wider implant can help.

Implants far apart...

It's hard to advise you well without a photo but, in general, high profile implants give you size at the expense of 'diameter' or width.  This lack of width is likely the reason why you feel like things are spread apart.

Scott E. Newman, MD, FACS

Breast Implants and Width

This usually is an anatomical issue because of the size of the sternum or breast bone. Sometimes, removing the lateral pocket or using a wider implant can help.

Donna Rich, MD
Webster Plastic Surgeon

Are my Implants Placed Too Far Apart? Can This Problem Be Fixed Easily?

Excessive #space #between the breasts is a very common reason many seek breast implant revision surgery. During the initial breast augmentation, a #pocket is created carefully to maintain certain folds on the sides and bottom of the breast. Occasionally, the space for the breast implant becomes too large on the #side of the chest or the tissue #stretches and the implants fall too much to the side. This is most easily seen when the patient is lying on her back. Other times, the space is a result of too narrow or too small of an implant for the patient's build.

It's difficult to suggest solutions here without knowledge of the #surgical #techniques applied. Nor without before and after #photographs.

Nevertheless, the best #option for #revising should be discussed during a one-on-one consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon. Deciding on additional #elective cosmetic #surgery is a personal #choice. Your procedures should always be performed by a #PlasticSurgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience specializing in cosmetic #surgery. You will then greatly improve your chances of getting the result you desire, and, without the need for a revision surgery. It is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Breasts that are spaced too far apart

I’m sorry for your current situation.In terms of cleavage, that really is determined by your specific anatomy.If you have a wider breast bone (sternum), there will be a larger gap than if you have narrower chest.The pocket where the implant resides can sometimes be opened more medially (toward the middle) to accommodate for this without cutting the muscle.If the muscle is cut to improve the cleavage you are at higher risk for rippling, symmastia and outward pointing nipples.

Eugene Kim, MD

Cleavage isn't always possible.

Cleavage is one of the characteristics that’s associated with physically attractive breasts.For this reason, it’s not unusual for patients to desire this anatomic feature.Unfortunately, this isn’t always possible because of specific anatomic restraints that patients may have.In some cases, patients may have laterally sloping chest walls and laterally positioned nipple areola complexes.Under these circumstances, it may not be possible to have pronounced cleavage.
Without pictures or a physical examination it’s virtually impossible to know if revisional surgery would improve cleavage.Although you might benefit from medial re-positioning of your breast implants, this might not entirely accomplish your aesthetic goals.It’s important to realize that breast implants need to be centered beneath the nipple areola complex to avoid secondary distortion.It’s also important to realize that underlying chest wall abnormalities can impose limitations on your final result as well.
If you’re considering revisional breast surgery it’s important to consult a board certified plastic surgeon.This surgeon should be able to perform a physical examination and formulate a treatment plan that addresses your anatomic findings and aesthetic goals.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Breast Revision

You should see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for an evaluation and examine the options.  Many times, anatomically, if you have breasts apart before surgery, they will be closer after surgery depending on the implant size, shape of your chest, and other factors your surgeon needs to consider.  They can only be moved so close together before your nipple is on the side of the breast.  Trust your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to do a proper evaluation and make a plan for your surgery that is best for you.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation revision

Pictures would be very helpful to evaluate your situation. Generally speaking however, it is possible to move implants medially by closing off the breast implant pocket on the side (lateral capsulorrhaphy),  If the patient's anatomy allows. More specifically, some patients have a wide sternum making it difficult (and potentially dangerous) to achieve close cleavage.   Keep in mind also, that the nipple-areola complexes  must be centered on the breast mound.

Lateral capsulorrhaphy is done using permanent internal sutures to reinforce the lateral breast fold. This technique prevents the implants from moving to the side (which can be a problem for some patients especially when they lie down).

Keep  in mind that you should wait at least 6 to 9 months before making  decisions regarding the need for revisionary surgery. I hope this helps.

No cleavage after breast implants

I tell my patients that the shape of their breasts after augmentation is simply a larger version of what they currently have.  So, if your areolas are pointing outward,  your implant will be pointing in the same axis which results in a lateral  projection of the breast mounds.  Stated another way, your anatomy dictates your results.  Enjoy your new size and shape.

Joseph N. Togba, MD
Oakland Plastic Surgeon