I have gynecomastia since i was 14. I am 22 now. Is it required to get a surgery?

Gynecomastia Since Age 14

According to official statistics, 36% of adult young men and 57% of older adult men in the United States have this medical condition in one of the four grades. About 200,000 to 3 million cases of #gynecomastia are being reported every single year. So if you have breast enlargement and you think you are an exception, please understand that 1 in 3 young adult men and 1 in 2 older adult men are just like you and have breast enlargement.
There are several common factors which contribute to gynecomastia. These include excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia.

Particularly, Normal Gynecomastia is usually apparent in males between the ages of 12 to 15 years old. It is also common for older men 65 years old or more who experience a drop in their testosterone levels. #Normal Gynecomastia takes approximately one to two years to naturally regress on its own.

Adolescent Gynecomastia is hereditary and usually appears in 30% to 60% of boys between the ages of nine to fourteen. Many cases of adolescent gynecomastia resolve on its own as the boy grows into adulthood. Some with #Adolescent may choose to undergo surgery to correct the situation, this usually happens at the age of 18 or above. In severe cases in young boys, the physician and child development specialists will need to speak to the parents regarding the severity of the gynecomastia and if surgery is an option before the age of 18.

There are three types of surgical treatment #options available that treat gynecomastia. A board certified Plastic Surgeon will recommend the best one suited for you during a one-on-one, in-person consultation.

Gynecomastia surgery

Your breast tissue will not go away if it has been present for more than a couple of years, unless you have it surgically removed.  Excess breast tissue, in a male, can be tender and definitely can be unattractive and embarrassing.

John Dean, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

What age to get gynecomastia surgery`

Once you have had gynecomastia for 2-3 years with no change, then it will probably be with you forever.  There is no "proper" age to have surgery -- but indeed surgery will be your only permanent answer for this problem.

Best to seek out a plastic surgeon who has particular interest and expertise in gynecomastia surgery.  For further info, check out my gynecomastia website.

Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
New York City

Treatment of gynecomastia

The only treatment for gunecomastia is surgical, either open resection, liposuction or a combination of both. The surgical method will depend on the type of tissue involved and the degree to which surgical correction of the nipple areolar complex is required. See a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation.

Gynecomastia NY

How should I choose a surgeon?
Selecting a surgeon is as important a choice as the decision to undergo surgery. Choose carefully only a board certified PLASTIC SURGEON. The decision is yours. What follows is some advice to assist in making your selection. 1. Experience matters. Choosing a surgeon who has performed over one thousand gynecomastia cases increases the likelihood that they have seen a case similar to yours in the past. Selecting a surgeon whose practice is focused on gynecomastia exclusively is also an indicator of experience. 2. Results matter. The more before-and-after pictures a surgeon displays, the better. Pay attention not just to the number of pictures, but whether the surgeon is confident enough to show multiple angles of the same patient. 3. Gynecomastia surgery Reviews matter. Have patients reviewed your surgeon? Did those patients undergo the surgery you are considering? 4. Expertise matters. Is your surgeon recognized by the profession as an authority in the field? Are they certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery? Have they authored books or medical journal articles regarding your surgery?

Mordcai Blau, MD

Gynecomastia

Joe
I appreciate your concern, but physical exam would be helpful. However, you may have significant or mild Gynecomastia which is usually treated by liposuction alone. The scars are small and well hidden. Insurance may or may not cover it, depends on your policy. Check out the link below to an article I wrote about Gynecomastia, as you may find it helpful. Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon in your area, good luck

Robert M. Tornambe, MD