Rhinoplasty/Chronic kidney disease stage 3. Any suggestions?

Hello I have stage 3 chronic kidney disease and I want to get a nose job, I know I have to get clearance from my primary doctor, my kidney function has been stable and all I take is high blood pressure medicine to control my pressure but besides that, Can I get a nose job?

medical clearance before a cosmetic rhinoplasty procedure

It is important to have a nephrologist give medical clearance for the kidney issues before undergoing a cosmetic rhinoplasty procedure under general anesthesia.  Your rhinoplasty surgeon, nephrologist, and anesthesiologist should all have a conversation about the patient safety issues.  In addition,  it is very important your blood pressure is under good control to prevent a nose bleed the first 2 weeks after the surgical procedure.  For more information and many rhinoplasty before and after examples, please see the link and the video below

Rhinoplasty and Safety

Safety is always the number 1 priority in rhinoplasty.  I would ensure that you get an evaluation by a neprhologist or kidney expert and get medical clearance.  They will likely have suggestions of specific steps to keep you hydrated during the surgery.  I would ensure that you have a board certified anesthesiologist preform your anesthesia with your condition.  I hope this helps.  

Anesthesia and chronic kidney disease

Unless there are any other surgical contraindications, there should be no problem to get a rhinoplasty under general anesthesia as long as you have clearance from your nephrologist. If anything, the concern lies in the anesthesia, not the rhinoplasty itself with your kidney disease unless you take immunosuppressive medications. Best wishes!

Thomas J. Walker, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kidney Function

At Stage 3 chronic renal failure, so long as everything else checks out, there should be no absolute contraindication to surgery, especially surgery on your nose. The physiologic "challenges" from the surgery/anesthesia are minimal and you will still metabolize/excrete the drugs commonly used adequately.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Rhinoplasty in Patient with Chronic Kidney Disease

As long as you get clearance from your nephrologist you will be able to have rhinoplasty surgery. I have operated on patients like you in the past.