Working out After Male Breast Reduction Surgery

When can I start working out my chest again after male breast reduction surgery?

Work out 3 weeks after male breast reduction.

Hi.

1)  In New York City, we tell our male breast reduction patients to keep their arms by their sides for one week.  They can exercise freely in 3 weeks.

2)  Don't overdo it with the pecs, or your chest will bulge out .  You had the surgery to get rid of that appearance.

Working Out Post-Op

After your #gynecomastia #surgery, you should start moving around once you feel up to it. Moderate walking around will help promote healing. Listen to your body, it will tell you if you are doing too much too soon. Do not return to strenuous activities or aerobic #exercise for 4-6 weeks. If you want to know what activities are acceptable at any time during the healing process, please call your #BoardCertified #PlasticSurgeon.

Working out

There is probably no absolute consensus on this topic.  I prescribe patients avoid heavy or repetitive pectoralis muscle exercises until I am sure there is no problem with seromas, drains are removed and most of the swelling from surgery is resolved.   This varies from patient to patient, typically 2-3 weeks for minor gynecomastia reductions and up to 6-8 weeks for larger procedures.  

Jeffrey D. Wagner, MD

After male breast reduction or gynecomastia surgery, the chest needs time to heal and for the tissues to fuse back together. As a result, I usually recommend four weeks of no exercise, two more weeks after that of light lower body non-impact exercise and then easing back into regular exercise starting at six weeks. I would not pursue excessive chest exercise for the first six weeks after surgery and after that time, I would ease into the exercises slowly and carefully ensuring the chest is not particularly sore as long as you are cautious, use your body as a guide and take care during that first 4-6 week period not to injure the surgical sites.

Robert Cohen, MD
Santa Monica Plastic Surgeon

Working Out After Gynecomastia Surgery

Thank you for your post. As you can see by colleagues' answers there is no right or wrong answer to this question. Every surgeon has their own timeline that works for them in their practice. In my practice I typically allow my patients to resume exercise in 3 to 6 weeks depending on the procedure performed. The main take home message is that you do not want to exercise too soon as this may increase swelling and delay the results.

Sincerely,

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Exercise after gynecomastia surgery

It is a good idea to wait at least 3 weeks before a strenuous work-out.  The skin must adhere to chest wall, and exercise which increases blood pressure and heart rate may cause fluid to build up in this space.  Stay wrapped, and be patient.  3 weeks is a good number.

Tim Neavin, MD

Exercise after surgery

I suggest you wait about a month or so before you start working out again. However, you should ask your surgeon.

Recommendations for resumption of exercise after gynecomastia reduction surgery vary from surgeon to surgeon.  In my practice, I recommend waiting for 8 weeks to allow for ample recovery time.  Good luck and be safe.

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

John Nguyen, MD, FACS

It really depends on the particular type of Male Breast Reduction surgery that is done:

It really depends on the particular type of Male Breast Reduction surgery that is done:

Liposuction Alone: 2 weeks of no straining or heavy lifting in order to minimize the chance for blood collections;  4 weeks of a “compression vest” is usually adequate to treat post-op swelling.

Gland Excision Alone:  a bulky dressing with some compression for 7 to 10 days;  no strenuous activity or extreme motion of the chest muscles for 3 weeks to allow for proper healing of the tissues.

Liposuction and Gland Excision: a bulky gauze dressing for 7 days along with a compression vest for 4 weeks.   2 weeks of no straining or heavy lifting and no strenuous activity or extreme motion of the chest muscles for 3 weeks to allow for proper healing of the tissues.

Full Breast Reduction: Mild compression with ace wraps and a bulky gauze dressing is worn one week.  If a free nipple graft is done, a compressive “tie-over” dressing is applied over the graft and is left for 7-10 days until the graft “takes”.  No strenuous activity or extreme motion of the chest muscles for 3 weeks to allow for proper healing of the tissues.

Exercising Following Gynecomastia Surgery

It’s not uncommon for patients with gynecomastia to be concerned about when they can resume their normal workout routine. This varies depending on the type of surgical procedure performed.

Each case needs to be considered individually since no two cases are the same. In the vast majority of patients, weight lifting and strenuous activities should be avoided for four to six weeks following surgery.

When gynecomastia is treated with liposuction, patients are frequently able to resume their normal work outs sooner than with excisional treatments.

It’s important to discuss this issue with your surgeon before resuming these types of activities. It’s important to remember that premature resumption of strenuous physical activities may be associated with significant complications.