Working out After Male Breast Reduction Surgery

When can I start working out my chest again after male breast reduction surgery?

Work out 3 weeks after male breast reduction.

Hi.

1)  In New York City, we tell our male breast reduction patients to keep their arms by their sides for one week.  They can exercise freely in 3 weeks.

2)  Don't overdo it with the pecs, or your chest will bulge out .  You had the surgery to get rid of that appearance.

Wait for 4-6 weeks or ask your surgeon

If the procedure has gone as the surgeon expected then, typically wait for 4-6 weeks before you start exercising again. It is important you discuss this with your surgeon. 

Different surgeons have different after care protocols, it is important to adhere to what your surgeon thinks is best for you for optimal recovery and good results.

Jayanthy Ravindran, MS, DNB, MRCS
India Plastic Surgeon

Working out

Usually as long as the procedure was uneventful, is advised to start heavy exercises after 4 to 6 weeks and  start slower or with less weight until your back to prior level of exercise / weight before surgery.

Roberto Gonzalez, MD

Working Out Post-Op

After your #gynecomastia #surgery, you should start moving around once you feel up to it. Moderate walking around will help promote healing. Listen to your body, it will tell you if you are doing too much too soon. Do not return to strenuous activities or aerobic #exercise for 4-6 weeks. If you want to know what activities are acceptable at any time during the healing process, please call your #BoardCertified #PlasticSurgeon.

Working out

There is probably no absolute consensus on this topic.  I prescribe patients avoid heavy or repetitive pectoralis muscle exercises until I am sure there is no problem with seromas, drains are removed and most of the swelling from surgery is resolved.   This varies from patient to patient, typically 2-3 weeks for minor gynecomastia reductions and up to 6-8 weeks for larger procedures.  

Jeffrey D. Wagner, MD

After male breast reduction or gynecomastia surgery, the chest needs time to heal and for the tissues to fuse back together. As a result, I usually recommend four weeks of no exercise, two more weeks after that of light lower body non-impact exercise and then easing back into regular exercise starting at six weeks. I would not pursue excessive chest exercise for the first six weeks after surgery and after that time, I would ease into the exercises slowly and carefully ensuring the chest is not particularly sore as long as you are cautious, use your body as a guide and take care during that first 4-6 week period not to injure the surgical sites.

Robert Cohen, MD
Santa Monica Plastic Surgeon

Working Out After Gynecomastia Surgery

Thank you for your post. As you can see by colleagues' answers there is no right or wrong answer to this question. Every surgeon has their own timeline that works for them in their practice. In my practice I typically allow my patients to resume exercise in 3 to 6 weeks depending on the procedure performed. The main take home message is that you do not want to exercise too soon as this may increase swelling and delay the results.

Sincerely,

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Exercise after gynecomastia surgery

It is a good idea to wait at least 3 weeks before a strenuous work-out.  The skin must adhere to chest wall, and exercise which increases blood pressure and heart rate may cause fluid to build up in this space.  Stay wrapped, and be patient.  3 weeks is a good number.

Tim Neavin, MD

Exercise after surgery

I suggest you wait about a month or so before you start working out again. However, you should ask your surgeon.

Michael Constantin Gartner, DO
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Recommendations for resumption of exercise after gynecomastia reduction surgery vary from surgeon to surgeon.  In my practice, I recommend waiting for 8 weeks to allow for ample recovery time.  Good luck and be safe.

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

John Nguyen, MD, FACS