Liposuction Without Excising Glandular Tissue for Gynecomastia?

I am not comfortable with excising glandular tissue through an incision. I have a small degree of enlargement and want to know if Liposuction alone would show significant improvement.

I'm not necessarily interested in a fully flat chest but I am concerned with a true "shape" of the chest. Would leaving some glandular tissue behind result in any lumps or a "folding" of the nipple? Thank you

The goal of gynecomastia is to remove as much unwanted tissue as possible and leave scars that are inisible or close to invisible. Please view my gynecomastia videos to learn more about my approach

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

About Gynecomastia and Options for Treatment

It's difficult to answer without photos or a one-on-one consultation. The male breast is composed of glandular tissue and fatty tissue. An excess in either type of tissue can cause the chest to take on the look of gynecomastia. Gynecomastia can affect #men of all different body types. There are different types of #gynecomastia.
According to official statistics, 36% of adult young men and 57% of older #adult men in the United States have this medical condition in one of the four grades.
About 200,000 to 3 million cases of #gynecomastia are being reported every single year. So if you have #breast #enlargement and you feel you're an exception, please understand that 1 in 3 young adult #men and 1 in 2 older adult men are just like you and have breast #enlargement.
Several common factors can cause gynecomastia including excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia.
There are three types of surgical #treatment #options available that treat gynecomastia. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you.
The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal #candidate.

Liposuction for gynecomastia

It all depends. If the unwanted tissue is firm (often seen with anabolic steroid use) then liposuction does not go a good job at removing it and a direct surgical removal is required. On the other hand if it has the consistency of fat it can be removed easily with liposuction.

Most important is going to a board certified Plastic Surgeon for an exam and the best way to take care of your concerns.

Liposuction for gynecomastia

Pictures would be very helpful.  The answer is sometimes yes, but maybe not. In most patients with gynecomastia there are both glandular and fat components. Dense, firm glandular tissue does not respond well to liposuction alone, whereas fat can be treated nicely with liposuction. If the glandular component is fairly small and the fatty component is larger, liposuction alone can make a worthwhile impact in selected cases. In most patients, both components need to be addressed. Typically this means partial resection of the glandular component combined with liposuction for the fatty component.  You should consult in person with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.

Jeffrey D. Wagner, MD

Hi gynohelp,

Thank you for the post. It would have been helpful if you provided a photograph. That being said, If there is glandular excess that is causing a protrusion then it needs to be addressed with excision. In my experience, liposuction is not an accurate or effective method to treat the gland. It is understandable to be concerned with the incision. However, these incisions tend to heal extremely well.

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Excision for glandular tissue

Liposuction will remove the excess fatty tissue, but it excision is required if you have glandular tissue for a better result. 

Liposuction is a great option for addressing mild to moderate gynecomastia.  It does not address any loose or sagging skin of the breast though.  See a board certified plastic surgeon for more details.  Good luck and be safe.

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

John Nguyen, MD, FACS

Liposuction alone can be a very effective treatment for gynecomastia

I treat the majority of my gynecomastia patients with specially sharpened "gynecomastia cannulas", as well as diamond rasps, and miniature endoscopic tissue "biters" which together allow me to remove the tough glandular tissue without having to perform direct excision through a periareolar incision.  I make a 1/4 inch incision in the armpit, which heals essentially "scar-less". Full correction of the gynecomastia or "puffy nipples" can be accomplished using this method in most patients.

No matter what method you use to perform male breast reduction, one of the most important surgical principals is that a small amount of "retro-areolar" breast tissue must be preserved in order to avoid a "sunken in" nipple areolar complex, which is very unnatural looking and a dead giveaway that you have had surgery.

Liposuction male breast reduction

If you have excess fat, then you can have liposuction performed to treat your gynecomastia. However, if you have excess skin and/or glandular tissue, then excision would be better.

However, a physical examination by an experienced plastic surgeon can determine if this technique will help achieve the results you want.

Liposuction for Gynecomastia: Pros and Cons

In the presence of glandular breast tissue liposuction would predictably give an inferior result. Even though you’re interested in a less aggressive procedure, it might not be in your best interest to undergo liposuction. This procedure would probably compromise your result and lead to dissatisfaction.

When gynecomastia is caused by growth of glandular breast tissue surgical excision is usually necessary to correct the problem. In contrast, when breast growth occurs because of fat deposition, liposuction is the treatment of choice.

Glandular tissue tends to be thicker and more fibrous than fatty tissue. When breast tissue is present it can be very difficult to pass a liposuction canula through the tissue. For this reason, liposuction is rarely effective when glandular tissue is present.

Glandular tissue usually requires surgical excision. This can be performed through a peri-areolar incision with minimal scarring. Consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon should help determine what specific option is best for you.