Is it possible that the implant is putting a strain on my heart or tugging on the muscle?

I have had saline breast implants under the muscle for 17 years. June of 2016 I started getting pain and burning above my left breast. despite a couple visits to the cardiologist and many more to my primary nobody seems to know what is causing the pain. My heart seems to be beating harder. IS it possible that the implant is putting a strain on my heart or tugging on the muscle? Somebody please help!

You might have a capsular pain, implant rupture, implant illness syndrome??? Best to see a boarded PS to examine the breasts. also a MRI scan indicated.

Thank you for sharing your question and I am sorry to hear of your breast pain.  After 17 years it is unlikely that the implants are causing your heart to beat harder.  If your left breast implant has hardened it can result in some pain due to the formation of a capsular contracture, which should be ruled out.  Hope this helps.

Heart

There is no possibility that the implant is making your heart beat harder. Perhaps another visit to the cardiologist or an upper GI workup might help.

Barry M. Schwartz, MD
Weston Plastic Surgeon

Sounds cardiac

I can think of no reason why breast implant could cause a fast heartbeat. I would go back to your cardiologist and have an echo cardiogram and a 24 hour Holter monitor done looking for something like atrial fibrillation or flutter. Best of luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS